Real Chicken Blood and Catfish Caviar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Chicken Blood and Catfish Caviar

Does anyone know a kill house that still sells blood? We used to use real blood this time of year and later and always did better than other baits. This was when I was a kid and my family that got it have all moved on....

Also, anyone out there ever eat or currently eat catfish Caviar. Any recipes or stories to share.

God bless

"I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn"
    "And we can skin a buck, and run a trotline and a country boy can survive"

Chicken blood matters

Comment

About the catfish caviar, I ate a ton of it during my last catfish fishing trip. I ate it pan fried in bacon grease, battered and deep fried, mixed in eggs with sausage.

It never tasted bad, but it was just bland. If you need to eat maximum protein, eat it, but I don't think it adds any positive flavor.

Catfish liver, on the other hand, is great. It is mild but has enough flavor to make it a real treat. Livers from huge catfish and small ones both taste just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
        About the catfish caviar, I ate a ton of it during my last catfish fishing trip. I ate it pan fried in bacon grease, battered and deep fried, mixed in eggs with sausage.

It never tasted bad, but it was just bland. If you need to eat maximum protein, eat it, but I don't think it adds any positive flavor.

Catfish liver, on the other hand, is great. It is mild but has enough flavor to make it a real treat. Livers from huge catfish and small ones both taste just fine.
        That's what I'm talkn about!

Comment

My Father in Law used to mix salted chicken blood, and down chicken feathers and pour it on a piece of insect screen to dry in the sun. The stuff would gel and then we'd be off fishing. I've made it sound easy but I never learned his recipe as good as I should have.
          Any recipes out there?

Comment

^good example^

Looking for others to chime in. Mainly, source of blood

Comment

"Eat mor chkn blud"
              - channel catfish

Comment

Morning bloodhounds

Comment

No beef processor in your area?
                  You can make blood bait out of beef blood.
                  Get a gallon and let it sit till it separates. Pour off the clearish liquid part.
                  Get a screen and put it over a dish or something to catch the drips.
                  Put the congealed blood on the screen and cover with salt or brown sugar. Put it in a frig til it gets firm then you can freeze it or cut into strips for use.

Comment

I find that fresh cut and live bait work better to catch bigger catfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                      I find that fresh cut and live bait work better to catch bigger catfish.
                      I agree with this^^^

Comment

I agree also but sometimes fresh cut and live bait are not available. Blood bait and Ivory soap will catch a lot of catfish.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          No beef processor in your area?
                          You can make blood bait out of beef blood.
                          Get a gallon and let it sit till it separates. Pour off the clearish liquid part.
                          Get a screen and put it over a dish or something to catch the drips.
                          Put the congealed blood on the screen and cover with salt or brown sugar. Put it in a frig til it gets firm then you can freeze it or cut into strips for use.
                          Ok. Here we go. Now we are getting somewhere!

So beef would be interchangeable with chicken? Makes me think I should broaden my search to turkey and goats then. Hum....

So, who knows of killhouses in north texas? Come on. Dont be shy. Coooome oooon.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                            Ok. Here we go. Now we are getting somewhere!

So beef would be interchangeable with chicken? Makes me think I should broaden my search to turkey and goats then. Hum....

So, who knows of killhouses in north texas? Come on. Dont be shy. Coooome oooon.

You don’t have any meat lockers ? Or small mom
                            and pop butcher shops ?

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              I agree also but sometimes fresh cut and live bait are not available. Blood bait and Ivory soap will catch a lot of catfish.
                              If I couldn't get fresh bait I'd just take the easy route and use cut up chicken breast. Catches a lot of fish and not a chore like soap. Soap don't stay on the hook very well and just doesn't catch many fish. Making blood bait is also a chore. I know it works but chicken works just as well and is so much easier

Comment

Working...
                              X