Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Extreme f.o.c or heavy arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was shooting 523 grains with 20% FOC. Complete pass through on deer was not a problem. Did not get a complete pass through on hogs. Going to experiment with 650 grains and 23% FOC.

Comment

Originally posted by WillowCity2506 View Post
      How do you like Hexx arrows? Just purchased a dozen and will be setting them up as soon as they come in. Was going to go with ethics archery insert and collars. If I go with a 125 head I'll come in around 505. So basically the same arrow, I'll just have a collar instead of heavier insert.
      They are tough and straight. I don't have any complaints. I just ordered 12 more. Way tougher than the ever popular FMJ. Hate those arrows with a passion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
        If you are committed to running weight forward you may look at running the majority of the weight in the tip rather than insert weight. The total arrow weight will be the same but the FOC will always be a little higher. If I had the choice a 175 grain head with a 25 grain insert or a 125 grain head with 75 grains of insert weight the former gets the nod every time. It’s a little different situation is somebody is already running a certain weight head they like in 100 or 125 but for a new build the best practice is building it at the tip.

[emoji1662]
        I agree with this, but I run 75gr insert and 125gr head because of the availability and selection of 125gr broadheads.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

So I was messing around with some cheap gold tip hunters I had around the house and installed 100grn inserts then played around with point weight it’s crazy how 25grains plus or minus can make a big difference

Comment

The post may be dead, so I may be wasting my time.

I have been a big advocate of the Ashby setups for years. But I started getting into the physics of archery, and I no longer preach ashby.

I do still look at some of what he did.

First, we look at what you have now. Does it work? Yes, then why change. No real benefit. Does it not work? Why not? Is it the broadhead or arrow weight? Broadhead should always be looked at first. Weight is last.?

FOC is first about flight. You need to make sure you have enough to control the arrow. I recommend 15% min if shooting fixed broadheads. Does it hurt to have more? No, but over 25%, you can start to see arrow stabilization go bad. It would help if you learned to control rear drag when this happens. most people won't see this as they very seldom build higher than 25%

FOC for penetration. There is no proof that FOC improves penetration on a compound bow shooting correct spine. No testing has been done up to this date.

Building your arrows is always fun. It allows you to learn about dynamic reactions. When you learn dynamic reaction, tuning becomes easier.

Comment

Go with a stiff spine like 300 and the heaviest head/insert you can to make right at 500ish
              You're welcome

Comment

I had MuddyFuzzy build me some arrows right at 500 and I was really pleased with how they flew. I shot them out to 50 yards this past weekend and was getting some great penetration through the target at the longer distances.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post

FOC for penetration. There is no proof that FOC improves penetration on a compound bow shooting correct spine. No testing has been done up to this date.
                  More FOC = more mass. If u take the same arrow with the same broadhead but put a 100 grain insert instead of a 25 grain insert you have more FOC and more mass. The more mass, the more penetration. Stand at 20 yards and choose the projectile you'd want to be hit with. A ping pong ball or a golf ball with a starting speed of 75mph. The lighter the projectile the quicker it slows down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree foc is important but speed kills. After 40 yards the arrow is so slow and if you are hunting something 50 plus yards your chances go way down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy View Post
                      I agree foc is important but speed kills. After 40 yards the arrow is so slow and if you are hunting something 50 plus yards your chances go way down.

Speed only kills on the highway

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy View Post
                        Speed where? Speed leaving the bow or speed at the target? Lighter projectiles slow down faster than heavier projectiles. Again, would you rather be hit by a ping pong ball or a golf ball that started out at 75mph and you were 20 yards away? Or how about this, you stand 20 yards away and let me throw either one at you as hard as I can. It's likely the ping pong ball won't even reach you but I'll nail you with the golf ball. Speed does not kill, momentum kills

Comment

There is a great video/podcast that came out this week from The Hunting Public guys talking with a Hypersonic Dynamics scientist. Look it up on YouTube.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            Speed where? Speed leaving the bow or speed at the target? Lighter projectiles slow down faster than heavier projectiles. Again, would you rather be hit by a ping pong ball or a golf ball that started out at 75mph and you were 20 yards away? Or how about this, you stand 20 yards away and let me throw either one at you as hard as I can. It's likely the ping pong ball won't even reach you but I'll nail you with the golf ball. Speed does not kill, momentum kills
                            I can agree with some of the heavy “stuff” in certain situations with certain animals…. But arrow weight comparison using golf balls vs ping pong ball and motorcycle vs train is laughable

Closer would be same pitcher throwing an 11” softball or a 12” softball… speed difference is minimum but measurable. Ke and momentum are measurable in a math equation but that’s about it

Shoot what flys best and fits your requirements

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

Closer would be same pitcher throwing an 11” softball or a 12” softball… speed difference is minimum but measurable. Ke and momentum are measurable in a math equation but that’s about it

Shoot what flys best and fits your requirements
                              Mass is a measure of weight, not inches(softballs). So a 300gr arrow vs a 600gr arrow is more in line with a ping pong ball vs a golf ball. A math equation is true and math and physics are real. What flys the best is a whole different ball of wax. I am not discussing how to tune or how to make something fly the best. I am discussing what happens when the arrow gets to the target and how best to get the arrow through the target. So laugh it up I reckon.

Comment

… you missed it

Most are so passionate there is only one way, they don’t see the value to balance

I dodnt use a 11” vs 12” to compare length…. It’s a weight difference that IS MEASURABLE…..but difference in performance isn’t overwhelming

Go stand at 60….70 yards and take shots from a 700gr vs a 300gr arrow… I don’t recommended either, but reality is I wouldn’t have to achieve 3” penetration to have lethal effects. And the “ping pong ball” arrow while on paper is not as effective…. Dead is dead

Comment

Working...
                                X