Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eventful DFW area pig hunt yesterday evening....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eventful DFW area pig hunt yesterday evening....

Long read but eventfull.. North and east winds are gonna be harder and harder to come by in the next couple of months so I figured i needed to take advantage of hunting them out of my favorite blind while I can. So I headed on out about 4:30 is and arrived on the property at at around 5:15. Turned off all my ringers and walked in.. Made it to the blind and threw some handcorn with a cup from 15 yards away to make sure they had some in case they came early. Feeder goes off at 6:30 and the wind direction/temps were great.

Got myself all set up in the box and started texting with a few folks to pass the time. Looking back on my Coverts for the exact time, the sounder surprised me and showed up at 6:05 instead of their normal 6:30 to 7:30. Glad I had some handcorn out because they would have just left and moved on to the next feeder. I hit record on the camera, opened the shooting window and they had no idea I was there. Was looking for a boar in the group since my wife has the sows of her "named" piglets' still off limits lol. For yall that didn't see my previous couple of hunts, she has few of the **** things named and checks my coverts every night for piglet videos.. So being the good husband I am, I am still playing along and look for boars or sows without piglets. I found a tan one up front and drew on him but he immediately turned. I was stuck at full draw and didn't really want to let down so I started looking for other "customers". He didn't cooperate and this medium sized sow with no obvious long teets came up front and broadside....unlucky day for her....lucky day for the tan boar. She was just a tad quartered too me, but going through the deadly V, the angle was still fine in my mind. I let it fly and evidently dropped my bow arm a bit because I hit a little low. I say a little low....it was perfect for the pocket shooters so the results were dang good. It just wasn't exactly the area I was aiming. Anyway. The Mathews Traverse and GR Micro hybrid that has been so good to me the past two years was money again. Love this bow and head. I cannot say enough good things about them. Result was a 40 yard walk and dead pig on the horizon at another 40.

As I was sitting there waiting for my pig to expire, a hen and gimpy legged hopping Tom came in in full strut. I don't normally shoot Tom's over feeders but I'd hate to see such a fine beard and spurs get ate up by a coyote so I decided to try to shoot him at the feeder. Assuming his feet got frostbite or he froze a foot to the roost that same night. We see it all the time out west after an ice storm. Bunch one legged hopping turkeys after a good one. Problem was I had already put all my crap up and taken off my facemask. Needless to say I had to quietly get everything back out including the camera while he was right there at 20 yards. That didn't end good. I got everything back out and he busted me on the draw. **** thing hopped off like a bullfrog being chase by a heron. ....slowly..

So I get out of my box to go track my pig. I am met by two boars trying to come back into my feeder. Crap..If I'd only waited 2-3 more minutes.. Found my arrow and went to the last place I saw the pig. Rounded the corner and looked up to see my pig laying on its side.

Shot looks good...

Old school in the pocket..

AND THE VIDEO!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGV4wg6m7q0"]Bowhunting DFW area pigs 4 24 21 - YouTube[/ame]

So after I rounded up my pig, I took my truck to the blind to get my stuff. While it was parked running 10 yards from the feeder, I walked out with all my gear and all those sows, piglets and a few boars were under the **** feeder....eating! Can you believe that? I sit inside and they are spooky as heck at times. I park my truck outside running and they come right in. Once again all my gear is packed up. I was hesitant at first because I had no way to video and I like to get these shots on camera to share. I decided to try anyway. I guess the big boars saw my legs under the truck and left but the sows, 8-10 piglets and another small boar were still there. I rounded the bed of my truck at full draw and the loan boar did not like that and went in the brush. I panned over to the big momma. I put the pin on her brain at 10 yards while she was facing me eating. It would have been a chip shot but I promised my wife, I'd not shoot her specifically. Shaking my head, I just said out loud....."you are one lucky *****!" and let down. She looked up and went back to eating. I proceeded to video the bastages from my truck bed and told them and my wife today was their lucky day. Maybe the pig gods will smile on me for not being greedy lol. That sow will get her's soon enough.. Great hunt all the way around and eventful as heck. This pig hunting with a bow is addicting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w7kxLNhRsw"]North Texas pigs 4/24/21 ignoring truck - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Smart; 04-22-2021, 12:13 PM.

wow!!

Why don't you bring a shotgun with buckshot at that close?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      wow!!

Because I bowhunt them and the landowner (my BIL)/friends and his kid likes shooting them. We have no interest in eradicating them. We'd turn off the feeders or trap them if that was the case.

Comment

Quick short of the gimpy turkey while I got all my stuff back and and he eventually busted me on the draw.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNLHtzYJds"]DFW area gimpy turkey - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Good shooting and great video Jason. Congrats again [emoji106][emoji106]

Comment

Great shot on the pig!

Comment

I see the lessons that Jeff has given you have paid off in your pig-killing endeavors![emoji106][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                wow!!

because hes a bowhunter

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Because I bowhunt them and the landowner (my BIL)/friends and his kid likes shooting them. We have no interest in eradicating them. We'd turn off the feeders or trap them if that was the case.
                  I don't think you understand the Texas hawwg .
                  Eradication efforts = 0 wins
                  Texas hawwg = 1 million wins
                  Good shooting

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    I see the lessons that Jeff has given you have paid off in your pig-killing endeavors![emoji106][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

****...I"m glad you said that....I forgot to add a shoutout to FND, Kyle and the Arkie Elite lover at CCR for getting my bow back in shape after I took a fall in the woods and tweaked the sight. Got her shooting back to normal!. Appreciate it fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      I don't think you understand the Texas hawwg .
                      Eradication efforts = 0 wins
                      Texas hawwg = 1 million wins
                      Good shooting

Thanks man!.....

I understand them enough to know, I went a full year without any pigs after a big trapping and helicopter deal went on north of us....so I prefer to just shoot them one at a time......maybe two....

Comment

Excellent work!!

Comment

Good shot sir.

Comment

Looked good!

Comment

Congrats Smart!

Comment

Working...
                              X