Dangit!!! Prostate cancer returned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangit!!! Prostate cancer returned!

I have debated on whether or not to post about my recent health news, but after seeing the thread by 1riot1ranger on his Prostate Cancer adventure, I thought it might be timely, and helpful for anyone else dealing with this issue.

In 1998, at the age of 51, I was diagnosed with the big C. My PSA was rising rapidly, and we did the radical prostatectomy, removing the whole gland with the encapsulated tumor. PSA was checked regularly for 5 years, and no trace. After that, I never worried about it again and felt fortunate that we caught it early.

Fast forward 20 years later in October, 2018, to my surprise, a routine bloodwork showed my PSA was high. No way, I thought. How can my Prostate Specific Antigen be rising when I don't have a prostate gland ? We found a pecan size tumor had grown back in the prostate bed! I did about 40 daily radiation treatments and zapped the tumor; PSA went down to near zero. I figured I kicked its butt again!

We checked my PSA every 6 months, and it remained negligible...until last fall! My PSA went to 1; then to 11 in 3 months! A series of scans, and I got the word in October that it had metasticized to my bones...Stage 4 Bone Cancer! The interesting thing is that the pecan-sized tumor was obliterated by the radiation 2 years ago and is no where to be found...but the cancer is certanly in about 11 spots in my bones! It is not curable, but treatable.

We did more radiation, completing that series in December, and my PSA has gone back down to .03 or something that low, so...we are keeping it at bay! I take a STRONG hormone shot (Lupron) every 6 months to block testosterone, which feeds Prostate Cancer. That stuff knocks my dauber in the dirt; just tired, with NO energy all the time! Also, I get a monthly IV infusion of Zometa to strengthen my bones, which are susceptible to breaking easily.

So...I did not post this looking for symphathy; don't need any. I just thought it may give another Prostate Cancer perspective to those of you who may be dealing with it. The main thing is to have your PSA checked regularly after the age of 50, and hopefully it can be whipped, if found. My situation of it returning after 20 years was a special case...but then, I'm special like that!!!

Prayers? I will certainly accept any and all prayers.

Praying for your recovery now sir, thank you for sharing.

Comment

Prayers up for you Randy and good luck!

Comment

prayers going up mr b.

Comment

Brother I will be praying daily for you, I'm very lucky to have found a friend like you on here, even though we have never meet,

God Bless
          Bish

Comment

Prayers up.

Comment

Praying for you. I’ve been battling high PSA levels for the past 10 years. Had a procedure done when it was first discovered. Take meds. It shot up last year to 7, but have managed to get it back down to 3. I’m due to see the doc August. Dreading it, but know it’s important. Don’t want to hear about biopsy, but I know the day is coming. Reading your thread has me thinking. Hope that what lies ahead for you is promising.

Comment

Darn it that’s not we want to hear. Many prayers up for you and positive results with the continued treatment regiment.

Comment

Praying for you Randy!

Comment

Daaang Randy... Sorry to hear that buddy. Prayers up for you fighting this stuff. Hopefully you can keep it at bay and keep on keeping on. TBH needs it's GOF supreme leader..

Comment

You've been in my thoughts and prayers...and will continue to be.
                      You got this....you're too ornery to let it get you down!

Comment

Prayers up for you Randy!!

Comment

Sorry to hear, hope you kick it again and third time is a charm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You have a good record of KCA, keep it up !

Comment

Dangit....... KCA again, bud..
                              Lesto!!

Comment

Working...
                              X