No announcement yet.

Home Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It's like a double-edged sword here. You will receive a discount from an insurance company, but metal is more expensive than other materials. It can be assumed that it will last a long time and may be in good condition, even when the children move here, but this is inaccurate. Therefore, I think it is worth considering the future for 10 years, calculating all the costs and time for repairs, because it can take a long time.
    I recently decided to make a home's siding because the old one began to crumble. I realized that I couldn't manage it quickly myself and ordered the service from a good company. Perhaps you should also consider this option. Good luck! In extreme cases, you can contact the company for the construction or repair of the roof so that the process will go much faster. "

Comment

The EPDM washers will wear out and leak over time, we fix them often. Standing seam is a good option but be ready to open your pocket book. Also if you consider standing seam make sure you have cosmetic damage on your insurance policy. Hail that would total a shingle roof will only make your beautiful metal roof look like crap and insurance will not replace it unless you have a cosmetic rider. This gets real fun when the homeowner lives in a neighborhood with an HOA and is required to replace there horrrible looking roof but insurance will not pay.... Lastly make sure if you do a metal roof get your entire home covered in high temp Ice and water shield. Metal roofs LEAK and the ice and water shield (not snyth felt) is what will protect your home. Good luck OP

Comment

Just an FYI the discount you get at most carriers is a cosmetic roof exclusion. That means they don’t pay for cosmetic damage. If you are going to do it go with the #4 rated materials.

Comment

I wanted standing seam but the quotes were all more than twice asphalt. Not sure if that's still the case but in 2018 it was. Can't imagine now.

Comment

I just had my roof replaced with Class 4 Impact resistant last week in DFW area. 40 year, Certainteed landmark IR, architectural shingles.

I'm a USAA member and my yearly rate dropped 35.5% due to the upgraded shingles. They did require I sign a cosmetic damage waiver to get the discount. It stipulates if hail comes through and there is no "structural" damage, there's nothing to cover.

My roofer advised me against metal roofing due to the cosmetic damage waiver. He cited all the cars you see running around months/years after a hailstorm with dented hoods and roofs. Said, would you want that to be your roof?

Good luck with your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
              Don't go with state Farm, don't care what they give you. Will post my opinions after all the checks clear.

thanks all, much appreciated.
              My apologies to State Farm employees here, but they were not “good hands” for me.

I love my metal roof. It is not loud like I expected. Even in light hail.
              Last roof I expect to buy.

Comment

In my neighborhood, every house with composition shingles has had to replace them after our hailstorm in the spring. My metal roof is 16 years old, has been through several hail storms, and still looks good and doesn't leak. I asked my builder to use 2x6 rafters and decking underneath. Without the decking, I'm sure there would have been damage.

One benefit of a metal roof that that has not been mentioned is that with a silver or white reflective roof, rather than dark shingles, your house will stay cooler and you will save on air conditioning bills. Over years, that adds up.

I have seen metal roofs that were installed improperly, leaked and had to be replaced, so the quality of the contractor and his crew are the most important.

Comment

If you go with a metal roof, make sure you know what you are getting...I don't know all the different brands and material and such, but I have seen 2 recently in my neighborhood that look terrible...the metal has changed color in some areas and basically have a 2 tone roof.

Comment

How come metal building roofs dont leak from these washers after years of service? ive never head of this and used to do all of muellers show buildings. The biggest thing i saw was roof decking is usually always wafer board these days and when it is screwed in to its integrity is compromised. over time the grip loosens which causes the screw to lose retention on the washers causing leaks, not the washer itself being the issue. So unless they are screwing in to solid wood or metal you run the risk of this issue. A lot of installers over tighten them to begin with which also causes issues. no telling how many fancy houses i got calls for with leaking roofs due to the wafer board causing loose screws.
                    Last edited by ckamp52; 07-21-2021, 07:45 AM.

Comment

We built our new home 5 years ago with a standing seam metal roof and love it.

How thick is your roof decking? OSB or plywood? I would be a little concerned if it were 15/32" or thinner due to fastener-holding ability or lack-there-of.

Comment

1.5” standing seam mechanically fastened and be done. No exposed screws or fasteners. No more hail worries unless it’s the size of baseballs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

CF PANEL FROM MUELLER OR SIMILAR PANEL IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The rubber washers on metal roofs do leak. They dry out and split. I have two on my shop now that need resealed. We’ve had warranty calls in the past to replace or seal these also. It happens. I’m a roofer and while I say a metal roof looks good in the beginning it’ll fade and not look so great 20 years later. Especially colored metal. Loud when it rains. It’s does get hot. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If you get metal you better have spray foam under it. If you do get metal get standing seam. But don’t expect your insurance to ever want to replace it if it gets beat to heck. I’m on the side that says put a 30 year composition roof and get good insurance. Use them to Get a new roof if you get hail. And by good insurance I don’t mean cheapest. I mean a company that wants to cover claims. Travelers, Farmers, and USAA are tops in my book. Allstate and Safeco are worst. State Farm not far behind then. They’ll try to deny the claim usually. Then if you can get them to pay it, it takes months to get it done because they short the roofer on all sorts of line items. It’s annoying. Hope this helps a little. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

had roof damage and after paying so many years, the insurance company truly acted like an a@@ hole,, after many attempts i ended up replacing with a metal roof, and paying for it myself. close to 10G, but well worth it. i wont out live it, so to all the naysayers,, say all you want.... metal is better then shingle any ol'day..... in Tornado Ally

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
                                The rubber washers on metal roofs do leak. They dry out and split. I have two on my shop now that need resealed. We’ve had warranty calls in the past to replace or seal these also. It happens. I’m a roofer and while I say a metal roof looks good in the beginning it’ll fade and not look so great 20 years later. Especially colored metal. Loud when it rains. It’s does get hot. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If you get metal you better have spray foam under it. If you do get metal get standing seam. But don’t expect your insurance to ever want to replace it if it gets beat to heck. I’m on the side that says put a 30 year composition roof and get good insurance. Use them to Get a new roof if you get hail. And by good insurance I don’t mean cheapest. I mean a company that wants to cover claims. Travelers, Farmers, and USAA are tops in my book. Allstate and Safeco are worst. State Farm not far behind then. They’ll try to deny the claim usually. Then if you can get them to pay it, it takes months to get it done because they short the roofer on all sorts of line items. It’s annoying. Hope this helps a little. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                I 100% agree sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X