Why do RVs have holes in their roofs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
    Don't see why you couldn't put the AC underneath with a vent, use same heater vents. Would be way quieter.
    Great idea

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
      Don't see why you couldn't put the AC underneath with a vent, use same heater vents. Would be way quieter.
      There use to be several companies that offer basement air systems. The problem most had , was they used a flexible duct in subfloor. The condensation would be the duct with water and wouldn't allow any air to flow to vents. Also, most of the basement system had to be completely dropped and removed to work on them.

Comment

Everyone wants Airstream quality but wants to pay for a jay flight. But without maintenance, they will all leak. I have a 06 Springdale. It was a Fema trailer. It had leaked in several area before I got it. I have kept the roof sealed. The corners caulked, and I haven't had a issue with it in 8 years
        Last edited by careybirdwell; 07-18-2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
          There use to be several companies that offer basement air systems. The problem most had , was they used a flexible duct in subfloor. The condensation would be the duct with water and wouldn't allow any air to flow to vents. Also, most of the basement system had to be completely dropped and removed to work on them.
          I imagine so, but surely that is an easy problem to solve

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            Same effect on the sides, doesn't have to be a hole in the roof.
            Not even close. We have a camper at the coast that we spend a lot of time in and we notice a big difference when the roof vents are opened up. I don't know why, maybe heat rises or just having additional openings. Of course when the wind is right those flaps scoop air and force it down like a blower.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
              Everyone wants Airstream quality but wants to pay for a jay flight. But without maintenance, they will all leak. I have a 06 Springdale. It was a Fema trailer. It had leaked in several area before I got it. I have kept the roof sealed. The corners caulked, and I haven't had a issue with it in 8 years
              You keep mentioning maintenance. My leaks were from the cheap plastic skylights that shouldn't be on the roof in the first place. The manufacturers should offer RVs without useless holes in the roof. Like I said, I had the crappy skylights replaced already.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Not even close. We have a camper at the coast that we spend a lot of time in and we notice a big difference when the roof vents are opened up. I don't know why, maybe heat rises or just having additional openings. Of course when the wind is right those flaps scoop air and force it down like a blower.
                Did you have side vents to compare the top vents with? Of course not, so you can't say whether the side vents woulda been the same or better. It still makes no sense to put unnecessary holes in a roof.
                Same with houses. The only time I had a leak in my roof was from a skylight in one of my homes years ago. Unneeded hole in the roof. Never built a house with a skylight since and my last one I'm building in Rockport won't have one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                  Agree
                  Yep

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                    They should put mini splits on rv’s.
                    Yep. See previous post why they dont.

Comment

You can only put so many holes/windows in the side and still can't account for hot air rising. I like the roof vents, they're way more effective used in conjunction with open windows than another window. The manufacturers should definitely make it an option though for people who only use shore power and run the a/c the whole time. There's lots of holes in all our house roofs and lots of ither holes in your camper roof, a hole is a hole.

Comment

Why do RVs have holes in their roofs?

Seems like some people are confusing skylights that SH mentioned and roof vents. They are not the same thing.

We have a skylight over the shower in ours and I hate it. I should have had Carey close it off and roof over it when he replaced my roof. For now I at least have some of the reflective bubble wrap material installed on the inside to block the light and help with heat intrusion.

It’s hard enough to keep them cool as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It's so ironic that I'm reading this post.........after being on the roof of my RV all weekend. I replaced a vent cover, skylight cover, taped, primed and added liquid rubber coating to my roof.

I was asking these very same questions as I was sweating, cussing and questioning my sanity doing this project in July.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                            It's so ironic that I'm reading this post.........after being on the roof of my RV all weekend. I replaced a vent cover, skylight cover, taped, primed and added liquid rubber coating to my roof.

I was asking these very same questions as I was sweating, cussing and questioning my sanity doing this project in July.
                            Now that you have it all ready to go we can finally go get my blackbuck!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              You can only put so many holes/windows in the side and still can't account for hot air rising. I like the roof vents, they're way more effective used in conjunction with open windows than another window. The manufacturers should definitely make it an option though for people who only use shore power and run the a/c the whole time. There's lots of holes in all our house roofs and lots of ither holes in your camper roof, a hole is a hole.
                              Hmmmmm.....a ceiling fan would be a better option than a hole in the roof. Plus, it works when the wind ain't blowing. Battery operated, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
                                Now that you have it all ready to go we can finally go get my blackbuck!
                                Casey beat you to it... lol. Put him on one yesterday evening and didn't leave the ranch until about 9 last night. I'm dragging today because of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X