Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat owners have you made the switch to Lithium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought one for my livescope and that is it

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
      I have several buddies that run them. I think they have all had problems at least once with them. You can til the TM all day on high is a plus and they weight about 22 pounds for a 100ah battery. I’m considering changing out my electronics batteries next year with lithium but I just replaced my TM batteries so I doubt I do that again just now.
      TM = Trolling Motor?

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
        if needing for starting only you can build one for way less than a marine battery.

https://batteryhookup.com/products/u...ifepo4-battery

I bought 100 of the lithium “bag” cells from Battery Hookup. For the cells and a 200 amp BMS cost me about $500 total several months ago. All of this will allow me to build a 200 amp/hr lithium battery. It’s going to take a while to put the battery pack together, but I plan on putting it to use in either my shed or my small cargo trailer for camping. Once I get it together I’ll be able to post up how it does. It should weigh about 75 pounds once it’s all together.

Comment

Once my lead acid batteries die, I will be going with lithium.

Comment

It's pretty nice being able to run my 55lb Terrova I-pilot Link troller for 2 days solid before needing a recharge . That was in a river with slight current. Still had plenty of battery left for another day.

Lithium batteries are differently built on the inside. There's a reason you will pay more for one than another, almost half it's price. Expensive ones have good solid or heavy-duty components in them. Cheap ones have cheaper stuff in them, built more cheaply.

Some have a 8-11 year warranty. Some only 3 years on certain parts. Some have lots of features like Blue-tooth monitoring for charging, life left in battery, ect. Some are just plain-jane and you gotta guess how much is left in them. And for the 24V and 36V folks: some can be wired in series, some not. So do your homework. But you can get a 24V or 36V lithium battery to replace 2 or 3 of the heavy LeadAcids you've got. How much weight you gonna save by doing that? Maybe up to 130lbs is how much. If you have a 5 or 6 battery boat, your gonna shave a good bit of weight off you could use for other gear.

Lithiums can be recharged 2500-3500 times on average during it's expected life (some brands more so pending battery brand). Where as a single lead acid has a life of about 300 recharges if you take proper care of one.

Most batteries have a Battery Management System (BMS) built into them. If they don't I'd shy away from them. But many are programmed with similar features to save the battery in certain conditions, whether it's due to below freezing temps or above certain temps. Understanding how to take care of one is a little different from leadAcid batteries too. Most won't take a charge below freezing. But some have a heated battery blanket built into them so that they can be charged in sub freezing weather. I got such a battery because I fish and hunt in freezing conditions. Also got the bluetooth which can be added equipment if you get a brand or one that dosen't have it built in.

Comment

Nope. Lead acid been severing me well. Get about 3-4 years out of them and replace with the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                It's pretty nice being able to run my 55lb Terrova I-pilot Link troller for 2 days solid before needing a recharge .
                How long did it take you to get 2 days of fishing on those batteries? 3 years??

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                  How long did it take you to get 2 days of fishing on those batteries? 3 years??

Well, it seems that way lately. ("lately" as in a GOF's last few years)

Good news is: I'm "still" almost finished with my deck.

Comment

I switched over last year to lithium and glad I did. I got 2 50ah Ionic for the trolling motor and don’t have to charge them every time I come off the water. You don’t need a new charger just make sure it can charge a AMG battery and your good to go.

Comment

They don't make sense for me. I won't keep a boat long enough to see the benefit of the long life and thousands of recharges. And my trolling motor batteries will already last me several days and easily recharge over night. I just don't think I'd see any benefit.

Comment

i made the switch on my bowfishing/fishing rig like them so far
                        last all day with no loss of power or damage to battery
                        recharge from 0% to 100% in 5 hrs
                        weigh 13 lbs each so i can easily move them from one boat to another

ionics lithium are on sale now for $100 less that what i originally paid for mine ($487) each

Comment

One more thing. Lead acid is good until about 50% capacity before you start doing damage. 100ah is only good for around 50ah’s. Most lithium’s can go to zero or near zero without any damage. I use a noco charger that has a lithium mode, works great. Good video that explains the benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                            They don't make sense for me. I won't keep a boat long enough to see the benefit of the long life and thousands of recharges. And my trolling motor batteries will already last me several days and easily recharge over night. I just don't think I'd see any benefit.
                            Same for me on my Andros but I’m looking to buy a tech skiff this fall and will have one on it for the weight savings, this fat kid needs to save weight where I can

Comment

Originally posted by newmathewsfan View Post
                              I just added lithium for my electronics and I can honestly say I’m glad I did. The upfront cost is considerable but the run time, weight difference, overall size and image quality on my livescope is amazing. I went with 12v 18ah battery and also picked up a spare so I can go all weekend with no issues. I also added a toggle switch to cut power. I understand that the black box draws power, even when not in use.
                              What does the battery type have to do with the image quality on your electronics? Anyone have experience with these guys, I saw their booth at the Bassmaster Classic https://thebasstank.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                                Same for me on my Andros but I’m looking to buy a tech skiff this fall and will have one on it for the weight savings, this fat kid needs to save weight where I can
                                For that application it makes sense. On a 25' bay boat you can't tell the difference in weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X