Haynie 25 Magnum Motor Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haynie 25 Magnum Motor Recommendations

Looking for recommendations on which motor to power new Haynie 25 Magnum build with. Below are the ones I’m currently considering.

Mercury 300 Pro XS
    Mercury 350 Verado
    Mercury 400 Verado
    Mercury 450 Racing

Which would you go with, and why?

The one I rode on had a 350 Verado, I can’t imagine needing anymore to get the job done. You could go bigger if you wanted, but the only reason would be just because you wanted to.

Comment

If you’ve got the cash why not the 450 ?

Comment

Get the one that makes you feel happy. They are all good. It'll squat more with the Vrod than the pro xs. Pro xs will be considerably cheaper. Many of the guys I know who have owned a bunch of 25 Magnums say they feel like the 350 Verado is the ideal motor for it and that the hull likes the extra weight on the transom. A couple other guys I know like the 300 Pro XS because of the lighter weight and they can get the boat to float more level.

I went with a 350 Verado and I like it. I might try a 300 pro XS on my next one.

I don't see a reason to go bigger, you spend a bunch to gain a little. But if it makes you happy and the money isn't an issue then go for it.

Comment

I hear ya. It’s not really that money isn’t a factor it’s just the fact that I’m already spending $80K - $90K regardless so what’s a few extra thousand to go as big as i can if it’s worth it. From the quotes I’ve gotten it’s not too much difference between the 300, 350 and 400.

Comment

What were the price differences you were quoted including steering and controls?

All depends on how you use it. For me even the 350 is really more than needed but I got it mainly due to resale. But then I rarely ever run anywhere near wide open. I am more worried about how they carry a load and what my cruise speed and fuel consumption is than top speed.

Comment

This was a ballpark but I was around $95k with a 400R, $93k with a 400 Verado, $89k with a 350 Verado and $87k with a 300 Pro XS.

Comment

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
                Looking for recommendations on which motor to power new Haynie 25 Magnum build with. Below are the ones I’m currently considering.

Mercury 300 Pro XS
                Mercury 350 Verado
                Mercury 400 Verado
                Mercury 450 Racing

450R if you don’t mind waiting 6 months to a year.

Comment

Is the extra couple mph worth 8k to you? You won't gain holeshot with the increased HP.

50 to 55 mph is plenty for me and draft is important for me so I would go with the 300. However, to each their own...

Comment

I think you'll be happy with any of them. Just really depends on how important top end speed is to you and what you'll pay to get those gains. I can't see a reason to go bigger than the 300 or 350. If I was seriously into top speed I probably wouldn't be buying a 25 Magnum anyway. To me the 25 Magnum is all about ride and fishing space. It's fast enough but it isn't ever gonna be the fastest boat on the water. But it is one of the best riding bay boats on the water and it runs reasonably fast and fishes very well.

Comment

My brother has the 400R on his. Sweet rig.

Its a really big boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                        Get the one that makes you feel happy. They are all good. It'll squat more with the Vrod than the pro xs. Pro xs will be considerably cheaper. Many of the guys I know who have owned a bunch of 25 Magnums say they feel like the 350 Verado is the ideal motor for it and that the hull likes the extra weight on the transom. A couple other guys I know like the 300 Pro XS because of the lighter weight and they can get the boat to float more level.

I went with a 350 Verado and I like it. I might try a 300 pro XS on my next one.

I don't see a reason to go bigger, you spend a bunch to gain a little. But if it makes you happy and the money isn't an issue then go for it.
                        Hey guys. I’m new to this site but on some of the other bigger fishing sites. Glenn knows me and I’m one of the guys he’s referring to that went with the Pro XS when I recently ordered my new Magnum. My choice was based off of weight (the 250 & 300 Pro XS weigh about 160lbs less than the Verado) and I wanted the best draft I could get from the boat. I went with the 300hp and low to mid 60’s is plenty fast for me, but more importantly it will give me good cruising speed at 4200-4500 rpms. And it was a few thousand cheaper than the 350 Verado. However, if the 300 Pro had weighed more than the 250 I wouldn’t have gone with it.

Again, it’s all about how you plan to utilize your boat. I wade fish the Galveston Bay complex a lot and needed a rig that could handle crossing the big rough water we have and still float shallow enough to let me troll into areas where I wade.
                        Last edited by Jkmoore03; 07-09-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Actually I was referring to Charlie Paradoski and Tommy Alexander but we can add you to the list. Hahahahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post

Mercury 300 Pro XS
                            Mercury 350 Verado
                            Mercury 400 Verado
                            Mercury 450 Racing

For most of my life I put max hp on every boat I bought, I’m old now and I really don’t need to go over 50 on the water. I’d probably go with the 300xs if I were buying that hull, efficient and plenty fast for a fishing platform, the mag is not a speed hull.

Comment

The pro XS

Comment

Working...
                              X