Axis hunt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis hunt question

Supplier is taking me on a Axis hunt this weekend originally they said rifle hunt, they just informed me I can bow hunt but it will be a hard hunt. I picked up a pack of grim reaper fatal steel 1 1/4 cut instead of using the whitetail specials I usually use. My question is what makes taking a axis with a bow more difficult than a whitetail buck? Do they not come to feeders on a regular routine? Harder to bring down with a bow? Vitals seem a little more forward than a WT so shoot thru the shoulder?

I am not apposed to shooting one with the 270 wsm just want to give it a go with the bow but on a free hunt sure do want to bring one of them bad boys home with me!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

They are very skittish and tough to get into bow range. They also don't typically pattern to feed very well, especially in a free range setting. This time of year your best shot with a bow is setting up over water mid-day and early afternoon. Definitely aim forward and try to get a quartering shot with your bow.

Comment

They’re rutting now, so patterning them is a little more difficult. Water is typically key this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
        They are very skittish and tough to get into bow range. They also don't typically pattern to feed very well, especially in a free range setting. This time of year your best shot with a bow is setting up over water mid-day and early afternoon. Definitely aim forward and try to get a quartering shot with your bow.
        This ditto

Comment

The axis that come through our place are very hard to pattern. They tend to not pattern to the feeders very well. they will show up, but not every day, and you are going during their rut, so the bucks aren't really going to be patterned to a feeder unless the doe they are after is coming to a feeder.

From my somewhat limited experience, the only time I have seen them patterned really well on our place was when had a hay field that didn't grow enough to cut, and it was dry late summer. There was a small herd patterned to it every night, and it's a matter of trying to get set up on them once you figure it out. Water is also a decent option depending on availability...

...oh, and it rained a lot in May, so range conditions are still pretty good. Not saying it's impossible, but i haven't even seen pics of axis at feeders lately - although i also think we lost some to the freeze earlier this year.

Vitals are definitely more forward. I've learned this the hard way with my bow. I use the same setup i use for WT on them, but if you have a mature buck in front of you it's hard to put it right on the shoulder with your bow. You really want to wait for that perfect slightly quartering away shot at the heart.

I've killed meat spikes (we don't shoot does, cause want more axis and don't have a huge population like some areas) with my bow. The 3 big bucks have all been with a rifle and during the summer. Summer time also makes scent control more difficult.

Long story short, i'd definitely bring your rifle, even if you try with archery to start. And then the best advice is probably "don't guide the guide" - listen to the guide/land owner suggestions on how to hunt them on their property. they could certain behave much differently in the area you are hunting than they do in our area!

good luck on your hunt!

Comment

On a free short weekend hunt I'd be making sure to bring one home so I'd use the smoke pole and have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
              Supplier is taking me on a Axis hunt this weekend originally they said rifle hunt, they just informed me I can bow hunt but it will be a hard hunt. I picked up a pack of grim reaper fatal steel 1 1/4 cut instead of using the whitetail specials I usually use. My question is what makes taking a axis with a bow more difficult than a whitetail buck? Do they not come to feeders on a regular routine? Harder to bring down with a bow? Vitals seem a little more forward than a WT so shoot thru the shoulder?

I am not apposed to shooting one with the 270 wsm just want to give it a go with the bow but on a free hunt sure do want to bring one of them bad boys home with me!

If you are gonna stick with Grim Reapers for a while, try the 1 3/8" Razor Tip. I think it's the best head they make. We always bent/broke too many blades on the Whitetail Specials. I had some of those Fatal Steels given to me years ago. Absolutely hated their on-game performance. Out of the two you have, I'd go with the Whitetail Specials. Axis aren't tough to kill. Just go straight up the leg and get into the shoulder, a little lower than center. Coincidentally that is the best place to shoot whitetails also. They can't go far when you take out all of their plumbing and their front wheels. Good luck!

Comment

If you're gonna bow hunt, take some chaffhay and put that out at your set up. It will increase the chances that an axis will come in. But still no guarantees. As everyone said, they don't hit feeders regularly. Some places I've hunted, the axis almost never come to a feeder. Other places, they'll come to feeders, but you never know which one a buck will show up at or IF he'll show up.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I will bring my bow if the. Guide thinks we can get on one great if not the 270 has always been deadly! I definitely want to bring one home and just have a good time.

Comment

Another reason they’re so tough with a bow is if they do come in, more often than not you’ll have the rest of the heard around with all those other eyeballs and ears. Then trying to get a clear shooting lane is a circus in and of itself most the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                      On a free short weekend hunt I'd be making sure to bring one home so I'd use the smoke pole and have a good time.
                      I'm thinking this is my best option. Plenty of time for the stress of bowhunting once deer season gets here!

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                        If you are gonna stick with Grim Reapers for a while, try the 1 3/8" Razor Tip. I think it's the best head they make. We always bent/broke too many blades on the Whitetail Specials. I had some of those Fatal Steels given to me years ago. Absolutely hated their on-game performance. Out of the two you have, I'd go with the Whitetail Specials. Axis aren't tough to kill. Just go straight up the leg and get into the shoulder, a little lower than center. Coincidentally that is the best place to shoot whitetails also. They can't go far when you take out all of their plumbing and their front wheels. Good luck!
                        Always had good luck with grim reapers for the last 10-12 years. But I'm about to pick up a bowtech and ditch the mathews so I may look at other broadheads and see what's out there. Thanks for the opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          Best advice so far. It’s a free weekend hunt. Bow would be great, but it might be a hard thing to figure out in a day or two. A rifle will greatly increase the odds. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                            Best advice so far. It’s a free weekend hunt. Bow would be great, but it might be a hard thing to figure out in a day or two. A rifle will greatly increase the odds. Good luck and have fun.
                            Yall talked me into it! 270 wsm and dos xx!!!

Comment

Now way I would risk wasting a free hunt by bringing my bow. And I pretty much only bow hunt except for hogs.

Good luck to you. I recommend in the future setting up a hunt somewhere and bringing your bow. It’s a fun challenge taking a big Axis buck down with one.

Comment

Working...
                              X