No announcement yet.

Prickly Pear Jelly and Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well heck slayr, you gotta give us more of a report than that!! Got any pics of it cut open? We need a bite by bite review here man!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Well heck slayr, you gotta give us more of a report than that!! Got any pics of it cut open? We need a bite by bite review here man!
      X2, I’ve got some juice still and this pie is highly tempting. Thanks Native Texan for posting the recipe, and thanks to your sister too

Comment

Some of the best jelly I have ever had. Ranks up there with mustang grape and mesquite bean jelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We love it and get it here in San Angelo at Eggermyers. It's good stuff. Homemade is likely even better.

Comment

Here’s a pic before the meringue. If the fam doesn’t scarf it all down today I’ll get a pic of the inside after cut.

As far as taste, I am by far no food blogger, but I’ll give it a try:

I ate it while still warm, I’d recommend letting it cool, even recommend putting it in the fridge. Had a bite this morning after it was in fridge all night and it was even better.

Sweetness was just right, not too sweet.
            Taste....I have a hard time nailing down the taste. I’d say like strawberry meets peach, but I may be way off.
            My wife did a homemade crust, which was pretty dang good too.
            Attached Files

Comment

In.

Comment

Good grief!! I gotta do this!! Gonna take a bucket with me next trip and hope for some purple pears (or tunas) to still be on the cactus at the ranch... Only thing that gave me a pause was you mentioned a "peach"... I want no part of anything peach! I'm probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like peaches, but I don't do peach anything...

Thanks for the food review. I'd say you did pretty well at describing it. Oh and that homemade crust looks divine too!

Comment

Good grief!! I gotta do this!! Gonna take a bucket with me next trip and hope for some purple pears (or tunas) to still be on the cactus at the ranch... Only thing that gave me a pause was you mentioned a "peach"... I want no part of anything peach! I'm probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like peaches, but I don't do peach anything...

Thanks for the food review. I'd say you did pretty well at describing it. Oh and that homemade crust looks divine too!
                  I may be completely off on my taste description. I’d definitely trust someone else’s over mine. Like you, I’m not a peach fan either, but this was pretty dang good. I think the years of eating the spiciest food I can find has taken its toll on my ability to distinguish tastes

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                    I may be completely off on my taste description. I’d definitely trust someone else’s over mine. Like you, I’m not a peach fan either, but this was pretty dang good. I think the years of eating the spiciest food I can find has taken its toll on my ability to distinguish tastes

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the recipe! Hope the family left you some.

It has a unique flavor for sure. I always got just a hint of strawberry/raspberry/banana taste, but nothing you could nail down and say "it tastes just like...".

The color in that photo looks more red than I recall. The ones my Sister made were almost a fluorescent purple.

They taste the best when they are well chilled!

Comment

One more thing to do with the syrup....

Made whiskey sours tonight at the neighbors and used the prickly pear syrup instead of simple syrup....delicious!
                        Attached Files

Comment

must be stout! made your pics fall over sideways!

Comment

must be stout! made your pics fall over sideways!
                            Ha! 94 proof will do that to you!!!

Comment

tagged

Comment

So what is everyone’s preferred method to extract the juice from the prickly pears

Comment

Working...
                                X