string building advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

string building advice

I have a question for all of you who build your own bowstrings. I just ordered a bear paw bow string jig board because I am wanting to learn how to build my own strings. My question is, what size flemish string do you recommend or is is different for every bow? Within a week, I should have all of the equipment except the string and I am wanting to order it. The # on the bows range from 42 to 55 at my draw length. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

ben

There are some pretty good online resources for string building. I'll need to see if I can dig em up (or somebody else will come along and post it.)

Essentially in your string building you consider the following:

1) String Material - Some bows can handle "fast flight" material and some cannot. Most if comes down to how well re-enforced the nocks are.

2) Strand count - Depends on #1 above and the draw weight of the bow (your 42 - 55 number up there.) The fewer the strands, the faster the string... but there is a limit to strength and again, depends on the material used.

3) String length - Depends on the length of the bow, type of bow (long vs recurve) and desired brace height (sort of - you will twist it up/down to adjust brace height.) The length of the string is usually somewhere between 3-4" shorter than the length of the bow. Some of this comes with practice and knowning how many twists per inch, etc you need.

That is about it for the basics.

The only thing you need to make a string is the string, a knife, and some wax. A string jig is nice for measuring out the lengths and doing taper so I definitely highly recommend it. You can make one with a 2x4 and some nails. Plans online.

To finish the string, you'll want to serve it so you will also want a serving tool. NOTE: the serving size you will want to use will depend on how many strands of what material you use so you get proper nock fit.

Good luck and enjoy the art of making your own strings. That reminds me... I need to buy some D97 in red/black.

Comment

I appreciate the advice. Little by little im learning to do things that i can make myself. Thanks again partner.

Comment

Some additional thoughts:

1. For bows that can handle fast flight, I use either Brownell FF+ or BCY X.

2. For bows in the 40 to 60# range I use either 15 strands of FF+ or 18 of BCY X. BCY X is slightly thinner than FF+ so I use 3 more strands to get my preferred nock fit. You don't really need that many strands - either string could probably hoist a Chevy short block without breaking, but those give me the fit I want for most nocks. I make a 3 bundle string just as a matter of personal preference. Two bundle strings work just fine and you can make them faster.

3. For serving I highly recommend the Bearpaw serving jig. Once you get the hang of it it's very easy to use and holds its tension well. Depending on the fit I'm going for I use either .021 or. 024 Halo serving.

5. I set up a homemade string stretcher, using a piece of 1/2" rebar embedded near the end of a piece of 4x4 with a boat trailer winch mounted on the other end - obviously, leave enough room between for the longest string you're likely to make and then add about 6". A 4x4 may seem like overkill but I've bent a couple of pieces of rebar using those trailer winches.

4. If you want to see how the pros do it, get the video that Chad Weaver and Rod Jenkins put out a few years back.

Comment

Thats some awesome advise. For now ill stick to the 2 strand. How will I know if my bows can handle FF? Do i contact the boyer? Thnx again.

Comment

I assume you mean 2 bundle. 2 strands is not enough. (Multiple strands per bundle).

Yes, contact your boyer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes i meant bundles. Thank you.

Comment

Do you all have a preference as to endless loop or flemish twist? Thnx

Comment

[QUOTE=Fuzzy Dog;13554182]Some additional thoughts:

1. For bows that can handle fast flight, I use either Brownell FF+ or BCY X.

2. For bows in the 40 to 60# range I use either 15 strands of FF+ or 18 of BCY X. BCY X is slightly thinner than FF+ so I use 3 more strands to get my preferred nock fit. You don't really need that many strands - either string could probably hoist a Chevy short block without breaking, but those give me the fit I want for most nocks.;;;;; I make a 3 bundle string just as a matter of personal preference. ;;;;;;; Two bundle strings work just fine and you can make them faster.

i was shocked to see this. didn't think anyone besides me shot a 3 bundle anymore... 3 is always and has always been betterer.....

Comment

Originally posted by ptlmg View Post
                    Do you all have a preference as to endless loop or flemish twist? Thnx
                    I think you need a fancy jig to make an endless loop. That's the only that that has ever kept me from making one. With flemish strings, you can make them without a jig, but you can make a jig yourself, and they're really easy to make. But as far as performance or anything, I don't know what the difference is if any. I know the loops on an endless loop are thinner. Flemish are supposedly more adjustable, but they also stretch more in the beginning. They take longer to settle in.

Comment

Good advice. Im just about done with a string stretcher. I should have all of the equipment here by the end of next week. Cant wait.

Comment

I have a distinct bias for Flemish, but it's based entirely on the fact that I think endless loop strings are as homely as a mud fence.

I've had that conversation with two guys who make strings for a living and each of them said that the decision boiled down to which you prefer to see on your bow.

Comment

Thats where I'm going to start.

Comment

8 strand D97 pad the loops and serving with one of each color on two colored string. Works fine for up to 60# bows. That's what I put on my selfbows with Osage overlays. Makes for fast strings and bows! Arvin
                            Last edited by Selfbowman; 08-25-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Awesome advice. Thanks Arvin.

Comment

Working...
                              X