Deer blood and hide? Dog training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer blood and hide? Dog training

Probably a long shot. I'm hoping to get my hands on some deer blood and hide for training my pup. Didn't plan on training or even having a dog to train or I would have saved my own. He uses his nose a lot now, so I'm hopeful he will be able to track. I'm in Tyler but will travel a bit for some.

I'm also curious if anyone has used the dog bone blood trailing scent online. I'm a little skeptical but if that's my only option I'll do it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have a hide and will probably shoot an aoudad or axis later this month

I can save some blood for you

I have some frozen , but it’s 3 yrs old

Comment

Blake I have a deer hide I can thaw and you can have half of it. I shot the deer in December. I ran out of blood though. You should be able to use any blood though, even pig blood.
      I am in Flint.
      - Stacey

(so much for being a long shot LOL)
      Last edited by Pistol; 04-17-2022, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
        Blake I have a deer hide I can thaw and you can have half of it. I shot the deer in December. I ran out of blood though. You should be able to use any blood though, even pig blood.
        I am in Flint.
        - Stacey

(so much for being a long shot LOL)
        Nice! Just let me know when you can thaw it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
          Nice! Just let me know when you can thaw it out.

Going to send you a PM

Comment

Maybe call the GW and see if they'll give you the next road kill deer...?

Comment

ANY kind of blood will work, and in fact is even better... You want your pup to track blood, any blood without even concentrating on "deer" smell... Will help him to ignore the smell of an unwounded deer and stay on "track" of the blood, not the animal...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                ANY kind of blood will work, and in fact is even better... You want your pup to track blood, any blood without even concentrating on "deer" smell... Will help him to ignore the smell of an unwounded deer and stay on "track" of the blood, not the animal...
                This
                I never used pure blood to train a puppy. I would clean and gut any animal into a tub, then get the juice out of the tub. It was a mixture of guts and blood.
                I used whatever the customers shot. Axis, Sika, Hogs just whatever

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                  This
                  I never used pure blood to train a puppy. I would clean and gut any animal into a tub, then get the juice out of the tub. It was a mixture of guts and blood.
                  I used whatever the customers shot. Axis, Sika, Hogs just whatever
                  Interesting. I didnt know that. Obviously I'm just getting started so I'm trying to soak up as much as I can. I could put him on pig blood trails to help solidify training? Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                    Interesting. I didnt know that. Obviously I'm just getting started so I'm trying to soak up as much as I can. I could put him on pig blood trails to help solidify training? Thanks for the info.

Yes, but don't put him on any real blood trails with a dead animal at the end until you have run a few mock trails with his normal "treat" at the end, that an a piece of hide, a foot or something to chew on... After he follows a good heavy trail successfully every time, put him on a dead hog trail that you KNOW the hog is a short distance away and COMPLETELY DEAD! Once he finds it, encourage him to "get that pig"!! and pump him up good as he goes after it... If you can do that all summer, you'll have a good started dog come October/bow season when you're most likely to need him! If you live out where you can shoot a rabbit or two and drag around leaving a good trail, that will help too... just make it about the blood and NOT the animal.

Comment

Yes, but don't put him on any real blood trails with a dead animal at the end until you have run a few mock trails with his normal "treat" at the end, that an a piece of hide, a foot or something to chew on... After he follows a good heavy trail successfully every time, put him on a dead hog trail that you KNOW the hog is a short distance away and COMPLETELY DEAD! Once he finds it, encourage him to "get that pig"!! and pump him up good as he goes after it... If you can do that all summer, you'll have a good started dog come October/bow season when you're most likely to need him! If you live out where you can shoot a rabbit or two and drag around leaving a good trail, that will help too... just make it about the blood and NOT the animal.
                      Thank you for the advice. I'm excited to get to work with him.

Comment

That was exactly my plan. But life got in the way and my dogs first track was exactly the opposite. Gut shot doe, virtually no blood and 2 hours after 5 guys had tracked and scented the whole country up looking for it. I put my lab "Colt" on the track and 2 hrs and 560 yards later he found the doe. He had no idea what he was looking for - he just knew I told him to "hunt it up"

I think the only reason it took 2 hrs is I pulled him off the track a couple times while I learned to read him.
                        Point being some dogs just have "it".

Comment

Working...
                        X