Fast Flight String Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Flight String Noise

Is it normal for a fast flight string to be louder than B50 Dacron?

I recently upgraded from the stock string on my Samick Sage to the 3 Rivers Fast Flight, and my bow went from almost silent to having a noise that I can best describe as sounding like a slap. After doing some reading, I thought it was limb slap, so I wrapped the ends of the string with yarn, but it made no difference. Brace height does not seem to make any difference either.

Arrows appear to be flying like darts, but it's almost too fast for me to see alone(180 fps w/ B50 and have not tested with new string yet).

Bow & Arrows Specs- #55/28" draw/480 grain arrow

yes very common
    you can try felt on the tips and puffs ,seems to help on mine.
    there are newer types of string that are "softer" not sure of the names

Comment

I just had the same thing happen. I put fast flight on and it became very loud. I guess that is normal for fast flight strings...

Comment

Answer - No, it is not normal. A common occurrence, but not normal.
        The shots will be louder only up to the point where you have the bow & arrows properly retuned for the new string.

Once properly tuned, the bow will be just as quiet, and often even quieter than with the B50 string.

Rick

Comment

What Rick said! If you change string material, you will have to retune to get everything right again. Also, do you have string silencers?

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            What Rick said! If you change string material, you will have to retune to get everything right again. Also, do you have string silencers?

Bisch
            I have wool string silencers, and have varied their position with no luck.

Comment

I have found that when properly tuned, they are quieter than B50 in general, although I do have some very quiet bows using B50. Brace height means a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post

Answer - No, it is not normal. A common occurrence, but not normal.
                The shots will be louder only up to the point where you have the bow & arrows properly retuned for the new string.

Once properly tuned, the bow will be just as quiet, and often even quieter than with the B50 string.

Rick
                I know it is just a general guideline, but according to the 3 Rivers dynamic spine calculator there is almost no difference between the B50 string and the 18 strand fast flight on my setup. That being said, the calculator does not work for my previous bow/arrow setup with the B50 string at all, and the arrows were flying perfectly.

I was hoping minor nocking point and brace height adjustments would get me where I need to be.

Comment

After re-reading your post I think what you are hearing may be from a weak shaft. In my experience, changing to a FF string requires a stiffer spined shaft. It may be that the arrow is hitting the riser somewhere. Check your nock point height also.
                  The quickest way to see if the spine is a factor is to put a lighter weight point in the arrow, probably drop at least 25 grains of point weight and see if it changes anything. Heavier arrows help absorb sound too.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                    After re-reading your post I think what you are hearing may be from a weak shaft.
                    This more often than not is the cause of the slap noise after changing strings.
                    The arrow is slapping the bow most likely.

Rick

Comment

Fast Flight String Noise

Another thing also is that different string materials make different pitch sounds. It may not be that the string is that much louder, but that your ears are perceiving the different pitch as louder!

Bisch

Comment

Another thing also is that different string materials make different pitch sounds. It may not be that the string is that much louder, but that your ears are perceiving the different pitch as louder!

Bisch
                        How can you tell?

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                          How can you tell?
                          I would ask that same question Mike.

Comment

Bisch
                            x2 to me it's a different pitch I describe it as a ping & Dacron to me is more of a bass sound.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                              How can you tell?
                              Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              I would ask that same question Mike.
                              I have no problem hearing the "thud" of a longbow and the "TWANG" of a recurve! None at all. None of you folks understand hearing loss. It is not that I don't hear, it is that I don't understand spoken words, esp those in the higher frequencies.

Bisch
                              Last edited by Bisch; 01-16-2016, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X