Bow Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Opinions

I'm looking at getting my first traditional bow. I'll be starting from scratch. I need a LH bow, so that makes it a little harder to find one. I'm looking to stay under $300 for a bow, a few arrows, just whatever basic stuff I need to get started. I want the poundage around 40 to 45 lbs and my DL with a compound is 29''. What would be a good bow in that price range to start me off? Or does anybody have a decent used LH bow they want to sell? I also looked at Hunters Friend, they have a special right now where I could get a Bear Grizzly with arrows, quiver, broadheads, glove, rest and silencers for $399. It's supposed to come set up and tuned. Any advice? And before anybody mentions it lol I'm reading through all the sticky threads and using the search button as we speak.

CRM_95:

Look at both Tradgang.com and Stickbow.com for their classifieds. You can usually pick up a good used recurve or longbow for a very good price, especially as a Lefty. You will loose about 1-1 1/2" draw length on a trad bow from a compound. If you need some help, I will do what I can to help you. Where in E T are you?

Doug Key

Comment

There is no way you are going to get a trad bow "set up and tuned" for you! Ain't gonna happen, unless it is just pure dumb luck!

Don't know where you are, but the best thing would be for you to find someone in your area who is experienced to help you out at first. It will greatly lessen the learning and frustration curves. If you are close to Doug, take him up on his offer!!!!!!

There are hundreds or thousands of great bows out there, but the only way you can decide what is right for you is to try different bows till you find something you like.

You can get a brand new Samick Sage recurve to start with for under $150.

These are not the prettiest bows on the planet, but they function just fine. If you did get one of these, you would want to ditch the string that comes with it, and get a good flemish twist string and some good string silencers for it.

I would not be to set on spending a lot of $$$ at first. Get something cheap, concentrate on learning good form, and go shoot and have fun. As you get into trad, you will meet more folks and shoot more bows, and start to get a grasp of what you really like, and what you really do want to spend more $$$ on.

Good luck, and welcome to the fun side!

Bisch
      Last edited by Bisch; 12-09-2015, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Splitfinger, I'm in Crockett. I don't think there is any bow shops around here that really carry much as far as traditional archery goes. I'll check the other sites mentioned and I'll keep an eye out on Ebay too. And Bisch I'll also check out the Samick Sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          There is no way you are going to get a trad bow "set up and tuned" for you! Ain't gonna happen, unless it is just pure dumb luck!

Don't know where you are, but the best thing would be for you to find someone in your area who is experienced to help you out at first. It will greatly lessen the learning and frustration curves. If you are close to Doug, take him up on his offer!!!!!!

There are hundreds or thousands of great bows out there, but the only way you can decide what is right for you is to try different bows till you find something you like.

You can get a brand new Samick Sage recurve to start with for under $150.

These are not the prettiest bows on the planet, but they function just fine. If you did get one of these, you would want to ditch the string that comes with it, and get a good flemish twist string and some good string silencers for it.

I would not be to set on spending a lot of $$$ at first. Get something cheap, concentrate on learning good form, and go shoot and have fun. As you get into trad, you will meet more folks and shoot more bows, and start to get a grasp of what you really like, and what you really do want to spend more $$$ on.

Good luck, and welcome to the fun side!

Bisch

I called 3 rivers and talked to them about that bow. They were super helpful and knowledgeable. They have videos on the site for almost everything. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Sage.

Comment

IMO the sage will serve you well. Like Bisch said, order the flemish twist string.

I took the sage route and killed a hog and some rabbits with it before getting my first custom this summer.

Comment

While the sage is a good bow, look for a used bow like was mentioned. You might end up with a higher end bow that will not need replaced and if it does it will hold more value. Stickbow it a great place to look for a used bow. If you cant find what you are looking for you can always pick up a sage.

Comment

I could set you up with a brand new left handed Blackhills longbow and get you tuned close but it would be around $450. Arrows and stuff would be a few more bucks.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Mr. Sarrels. I ended up ordering the sage and I've been watching all the videos on the three rivers website. After I see how this one works out for me, if I enjoy it I'll definitely be talking to you about a bow.
                  Last edited by CRM_95; 12-09-2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Attaboy! Get your Sage and start shooting! Then, after January, start going to 3D shoots, esp all trad shoots. There you will get to try all sorts of different bows, and begin to figure out what fits you the best. Then go talk to Bob and get you a Blueridge longbow!!!

Sorry, I could not help but plug what I think is the best bow on the planet!!!

Bisch

Comment

Another question. I'm not about to shoot at a deer with it until I'm shooting really well. With all spring and summer to practice is it safe to think I can hunt with it next fall? How long does it normally take to get the hang of it? I guess I'll just start out practicing at 10 yards or so.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                        Another question. I'm not about to shoot at a deer with it until I'm shooting really well. With all spring and summer to practice is it safe to think I can hunt with it next fall? How long does it normally take to get the hang of it? I guess I'll just start out practicing at 10 yards or so.
                        Very possible!!! If you stick to it and put in some effort, there is no reason you cannot be hunting in a couple months. You just have to recognize what your max distance is, and not shoot at a critter past that distance. Most of the critters I shoot are under 15yds!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          Very possible!!! If you stick to it and put in some effort, there is no reason you cannot be hunting in a couple months. You just have to recognize what your max distance is, and not shoot at a critter past that distance. Most of the critters I shoot are under 15yds!

Bisch
                          Good to know!! I got 45 lb DW and I ordered a 3 pack of the High Plains Hunter arrows spine size 500. I'll see how they do with field tips before I worry about broad heads. I got a bow stringer, glove, and a field tuning kit so I can set my knocking point, brace height and all that. I got the Fast Flight Flemish string and the Bear Hair bench and rest and then some beaver fur silencers. I can't wait to put it all together and start shooting. I'm stoked!!

Comment

When it gets here and I get it all set up, should I even worry about trying to paper tune or any kind of tuning right away, or just start practicing first?

Comment

I would say not to worry about it too much. If you are brand new to trad, it is very likely that a lot will change between day 1 and whenever you start getting comfortable. Just get some arrows fly with no real obvious wobbles and go learn. As you get some consistency down, then the tuning really comes into play.

I'm not saying don't try to paper tune. But if you do try, and you can't get something to go right, don't sweat it too much at the beginning.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X