Trad bows and rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad bows and rain?

Just getting started with trad archery and not sure if I should expose my bows to rain. Is it ok for a recurve or longbow to get wet? Can I store them in the garage exposed to humidity or should they be stored in the house?

My bows hang in the garage from October to May - just more convenient to work on them or grab one to shoot in the backyard. I keep them inside the house during the heat of summer but it is probably not neccessary. Just wiping down your bow after hunting in the rain is all you should need to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445445222.277474.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	24411297

Comment

they will be fine in the rain, only thing i worry about with bows is being exposed to extreme heat

Comment

If your bow has a finish on it rain shouldn't hurt it at all. Certain bows however have paper phenolic in them. When paper gets wet it crinkles and looses its strength. This still shouldn't happen if the bow has finish on it.

Comment

Heat won't hurt??

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          My bows hang in the garage from October to May - just more convenient to work on them or grab one to shoot in the backyard. I keep them inside the house during the heat of summer but it is probably not neccessary. Just wiping down your bow after hunting in the rain is all you should need to do.
          I was always told heat was bad for laminated limbs.
          My garage gets to about 102 degrees in summer since is faces into the western sun. This type of heat, long term, won't hurt limbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
            I was always told heat was bad for laminated limbs.
            My garage gets to about 102 degrees in summer since is faces into the western sun. This type of heat, long term, won't hurt limbs?
            I think I remember Bob Sarrels saying that the glue he uses to lam-up his bows won't soften until something like 180 degrees. (I may be misquoting him but that is what I remember) I think it could easily get hot enough in an enclosed vehicle to do damage, not so sure about a garage. I would think that storing them strung in the heat would increase the risk. I don't take the chance - I store my bows in the house once summer rolls around.

Comment

hunted plenty of times in the rain and never had a problem
              like said, if the finish (clear coat for lack of better term) is still good

My bows also stay in the garage and after 7 years i have not seen a problem

Comment

hunt in the rain with my glass bow and have never had a problem, occasionally need to pluck the string to drop excess moisture off of the silencers though.

i keep mine indoors year round......might be ok in the garage but would rather not, especially during the hot Texas summers in my uninsulated garage.

my 2 cents..

Comment

Stay in TP with squaw when it rains. Drink fire water and get on the internet. ��
                  Arvin

Comment

I apply a fresh coat of paste wax to my bows during 3D season, and for takedowns I'll lube the threads on my limb bolts. Other than that I just rag off the water after coming in from a hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                      they will be fine in the rain, only thing i worry about with bows is being exposed to extreme heat
                      That is what I do

Comment

Your bow will be fine. Keep your feathers dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                          Stay in TP with squaw when it rains. Drink fire water and get on the internet. ��
                          Arvin

Comment

If it is a takedown and gets very wet I will take it apart to make sure that the limb pockets are dry.

Bows are cured in very high heat. I just keep mine out of cars and do not lay in direct sunlight for long periods of time.

Comment

Will be fine in your garage unstrung. My bows cook at 180 and I think it has to approach that for problems. Have had customers leave in cars in summer strung and really nasty expensive things happen When you take out of any warm area allways let them acclamate to shady temps before stringing. Waxing about twice a year with good paste or cornuba wax will keep them looking good for a long time. Especially in areas where they meet in takedowns. I woul not advise waxing just prior to hunting. Let odor dissapate first or will probably be a fruitless hunt

Comment

Working...
                              X