Needing feeder opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing feeder opinions

Needing some advice on feeders, I am currently running two free choice protein feeders and the deer have starting to hit them well. I have been debating on adding another gravity feeder just for corn or to add a spin cast corn feeder in addition to the free choice protein feeder. I also thought about running a timed protein feeder with corn and protein mixed? What are y’all’s opinion?

Location is palo pinto county if that helps.

Corn cost as much as cheap protein. Add a cottonseed basket

Comment

Deer in Palo Pinto co are nocturnal as it is. I wouldn't have nothing free choice, I would have everything timed. They would only be eating at night for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
        Deer in Palo Pinto co are nocturnal as it is. I wouldn't have nothing free choice, I would have everything timed. They would only be eating at night for sure.

Kinda my experience, I’m thinking timed protein with corn mixed to get the best of both worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Lamco timed trough feeder is your answer. You can put corn and protein in it. I’ve been running one for 6 years without fail.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            The Lamco timed trough feeder is your answer. You can put corn and protein in it. I’ve been running one for 6 years without fail.

What are the benefits of the Lamco feeder vs the ASF timed feeder with the rain guard? These are the two I’ve been going back and forth between.

Comment

I think you are overthinking it. You have the free choice protein to supplement native range, add a corn feeder as an attractant. I wouldn’t bother mixing corn and protein, or see a need for it if they are already eating protein well.

Comment

Originally posted by CSB View Post
                What are the benefits of the Lamco feeder vs the ASF timed feeder with the rain guard? These are the two I’ve been going back and forth between.

The Lamco trough feeder has a rain sensor also. The biggest advantage is the feed never touches the ground. It’s healthier for the animals that are eating it. Lamco is way better built than ASF
                Last edited by AntlerCollector; 05-10-2022, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                  I think you are overthinking it. You have the free choice protein to supplement native range, add a corn feeder as an attractant. I wouldn’t bother mixing corn and protein, or see a need for it if they are already eating protein well.

This I agree with OP, but you didn’t ask if you were overthinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by CSB View Post

I own both. Lamco has more room for more critters.
                    Feed WILL get wet in troughs on the lamco.
                    Lamco is harder to move around
                    Lamco is better built it seems.
                    ASF is a lot cheaper. $900-1000 Vs $1500 for a 1k lb feeder. That’s significant. But the lamco is the better one for high volume and bigger antlered stuff like axis. Deer have to turn their head sideways in the ASF on occasion. Never slowed mine down. I’ve fed a whole bunch of feed from ASF timed protein feeders with great success so far(knock on wood)

Comment

An ASF can’t do this.....

I own both also. IMO, the Lamco is worth the extra money.

Comment

ASF for protein works for us.
                        Spin a little corn/hen scratch in the tripod for other turkeys and birds

I don’t care when the deer eat the protein. Day or night. Corn feeders go off at daylight & dark year round. ( game country timers never need resetting).
                        Last edited by Big pig; 05-11-2022, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I’m going to move a corn feeder over with one do they protein feeders and hand corn with the other feeder to see what comes of it. Should be a fun experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            I own both. Lamco has more room for more critters.
                            Feed WILL get wet in troughs on the lamco.
                            Lamco is harder to move around
                            Lamco is better built it seems.
                            ASF is a lot cheaper. $900-1000 Vs $1500 for a 1k lb feeder. That’s significant. But the lamco is the better one for high volume and bigger antlered stuff like axis. Deer have to turn their head sideways in the ASF on occasion. Never slowed mine down. I’ve fed a whole bunch of feed from ASF timed protein feeders with great success so far(knock on wood)

Yup....pretty much covers it except the ASF base is all heavy steel. The feed storage area is sheet metal like the Lamcos though. One more thing....the ASF troughs don't rust out like the Lamcos sheet metal trough can. I'm not sure if it is a feed type thing, a moisture holding thing or a climate thing but I have seen folks have to either repair or replace the troughs over time.

I, personally, like my ASFs, mostly because of the price I got them at, their footprint in my pen and their ability to be moved easily if needed. But... I don't have 600 axis to feed in a drought either. I have seen as many as 9 whitetails eating at my ASF raised 4" off the ground though, so it works for my deer pops. I got them for an offseason supplement and an in-season attractant so they work well for my usage. If I could have found Lamcos close to the $400-450 each like my ASFs at the time, I would have considered them because two of my lease members were running them before I got into the timed protein game. I had plenty of experience with them accessible to me for questions....plus I helped fill them plenty... You seriously can't go wrong with either. You just need to decide what you need it for and what you want to spend.

My 600lbers hold 550 lbs of small pellet feed.... Times like now with high fuel costs and drought conditions, I wish I had 1,000 lbers....but the 600s have been plenty for me the last 3-4 seasons. I don;t see any need to mix corn with the protein after the initial startup. I mixed 50lbs of corn and 50lbs of protein in multiple 5 gallon buckets then dumped it in first. Protein after that and it has been straight protein since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00IMG_0782.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	24683048

Click image for larger version

Name:	00IMG_8462.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	24683049
                            Last edited by Smart; 05-11-2022, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Automatic protein feeders are very easy to build using most standard free choice feeder options. I swapped all my existing feeders over for $200 Avg. Cost of materials per unit. It's definitely a game changer when battling coons or nocturnal bucks

Comment

Working...
                              X