No announcement yet.

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man really impressed with the amount of forestry work you have done, we haven't made a big announcement yet but myself and another TBHer have joined the OK family. May be hitting you up for the contacts on the forestry service. Our place has had some timber improvement but need to have some burns done soon.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      Man really impressed with the amount of forestry work you have done, we haven't made a big announcement yet but myself and another TBHer have joined the OK family. May be hitting you up for the contacts on the forestry service. Our place has had some timber improvement but need to have some burns done soon.

Congrats and welcome to the family! The TSI is a labor of love, for sure. When you are ready for those contacts, let me know. The forestry service may have a different contact based on your location but I can help with a contact based out of Wilburton.

Comment

It is spring break for the kids so you know what that means…….more TSI!!![emoji12]

Finished up the 9 acre block of timber where we are thinning the timber to get ~40% sunlight to the ground. Mainly using the hack and squirt method. My 14 year old is becoming a tremendous asset in this area. Also, this is a much more enjoyable process with a partner.

Stocked up on the tree killing juice (Tryclopyr and Imazapyr) to fuel our hack and squirt efforts so we are good for a while!

The wildlife biologist wants to see more edge so we are opening up a couple of clear cuts on a bench. Here is the first.

Getting the boy started out using a small chainsaw on small trees. Looking forward to the day when he runs the saw and I stay on the tractor. [emoji2955]

Put together a new trailer especially for the TSI efforts. It is much easier navigating this through the woods.

Makes feeder filling time easier as well!

We have one more small clear cut to do and we are done with what we wanted to complete in this off season. It has been one year since the state burned the whole place so I am looking forward to seeing how the browse responds in year two. The forester said to not expect much in the way of new growth until year two. Much like the cycle and timing of thinning planted pines. It is always better in year two. We will see!
        Last edited by Booner Sooner; 03-18-2022, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Did you add more acreage or is this all on the original 80ac parcel.

Comment

This work is all on the original 80 acres. There are three smaller parcels totaling 110 additional acres that I have my eye on. Lord willing, adding to the place will occur when the opportunity arises!

Comment

Cool, your def maximizing the acreage.

Comment

Great thread and a very beautiful piece of ground..
                Man ya'll have put in the work!!!!!

Comment

Been dreaming of having my own piece of ground since moving off my Dad’s place years ago. We are making the most of it while I am semi-young (45) and able bodied. I could not imagine postponing this dream until I retired and then started. My Lord, I would not have been able to do it, physically!

If anyone has the same dream you have to make it happen. Don’t wait.

I’m one year in to a five year initial timeline for habitat improvement. Having the place inspected by a couple of NDA (formerly QDMA) inspectors, state forester, state biologist and developing a plan is the key. Now, we are just working the plan!

It may only be 80 acres (for now) but we are going to get everything we can out of it in terms of food and cover.

Booner

Comment

Love it Man! Keep on keeping on. I'm currently looking for my little slice of Oklahoma similar in size to yours. Lots of great information here and I'm happy for your family

Comment

Originally posted by Avid Hunter View Post
                      Love it Man! Keep on keeping on. I'm currently looking for my little slice of Oklahoma similar in size to yours. Lots of great information here and I'm happy for your family

Thanks.

I would recommend contacting Darton when you are ready to pull the trigger. He is the best at this and will shoot you straight!

Comment

Got up to the Hilltop yesterday for some remote work (figuratively and literally). Getting into the woods goes a long way towards lowering one’s blood pressure. We have the state biologist coming back out in a few weeks so time is of the essence to get our TSI done.

This phase of the plan calls for two clear cuts to break up the forest to create more edge and promote more browse and cover. I picked a location on flat ground that has a tremendous density of mainly blackjack oak, post oak, and hickory.

Here is the before:

A few hours is all I have in the tank these days but I’m still running wide open during that time! [emoji2955]

Here is the progress so far. I figure we are about 1/3 done. The goal is to open up an acre here.

As you can see clear cuts create an absolute mess. Once I’m done I’ll come back to push the felled trees up into multiple burn piles. The next prescribed burn for this section will be year after next. I probably won’t be able to wait that long to light these up. [emoji6]

Slowly but surely I’m getting my East road where it is more passible. This really opened up access to what was previously difficult to access.

One step at a time…

God is good.
                        Last edited by Booner Sooner; 04-08-2022, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Nicely done, I need to get your forestry contact. Our place had timber harvest done 1-2urs ago but really needs to be burned now to clean up the dead fall and hopefully kill the Rea profited stumps. If I don’t get them under control soon it’s gonna super thick and worse than it was before.

Comment

Nicely done, I need to get your forestry contact. Our place had timber harvest done 1-2urs ago but really needs to be burned now to clean up the dead fall and hopefully kill the Rea profited stumps. If I don’t get them under control soon it’s gonna super thick and worse than it was before.

Thank you, Sir. I can PM you the contact but I believe you won’t get support from the forestry service. Everyone West of the turnpike is on their own, as I understand.

Being in Seminole county you will get support from one of the four private land wildlife biologists but not from the forestry department.

You speak the truth on the regeneration from stumps. You have to get on top of those and burning is the best IMO.

Look forward to following along on your project!

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                              Thank you, Sir. I can PM you the contact but I believe you won’t get support from the forestry service. Everyone West of the turnpike is on their own, as I understand.

Being in Seminole county you will get support from one of the four private land wildlife biologists but not from the forestry department.

You speak the truth on the regeneration from stumps. You have to get on top of those and burning is the best IMO.

Look forward to following along on your project!
                              I wonder why they don’t handle all of Oklahoma. Send me any contacts you have please.

Comment

I wonder why they don’t handle all of Oklahoma. Send me any contacts you have please.

PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X