2022 Salty H20 Thread.... Let's go! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slayr View Post
    And this is why Sabine will never reach full potential. Texans having conservative limits while folks launching in LA have very liberal limits.

Nothing against you, it’s just a very broken system. This is exactly why the Hackberry guides run to Sabine all the time.

...and this is why I NEVER post pics of ANYTHING I "harvest".

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
      I throw back a lot of fish but if I threw back a flounder my wife would kill me dead lol. Getting dinner ain't so bad, way to stay with it.
      I accidentally sprayed one off the back of cleaning table at Froggie's a few years ago, almost went in after it but the local dolphin already ran off with it.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        I accidentally sprayed one off the back of cleaning table at Froggie's a few years ago, almost went in after it but the local dolphin already ran off with it.
        Haha... I can see this happening! They are hawks around those cleaning tables!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

And this is why Sabine will never reach full potential. Texans having conservative limits while folks launching in LA have very liberal limits.

Nothing against you, it’s just a very broken system. This is exactly why the Hackberry guides run to Sabine all the time.
          I don't completely disagree with you. I would be good with it if Texas and La adjusted their limits on Sabine to be the same. 10 fish at 14 inches would be a fair compromise IMO, but I could deal with Texas limits becoming the universal limit on Sabine. That said, about 99% of fishermen around here complained when the limit dropped from 10 to 5, and most of the ones complaining about La limits now don't have boats. For $92.50 it's insane to not buy an OOS Louisiana license and increase the amount of trout you can keep by ten, flounder by five, and reds by two, not to mention the smaller length limit, especially considering the drive is an extra 45 seconds across the bridge. I like to eat trout, and I like to fish. At this point it's $50 in gas just to take the boat out on a short run around sabine, so I'm going to catch as many for the freezer as a I can when I'm out there, because the days of taking the boat out 4-5 days a week during the spring and summer are over for the time being. I know a few guys who'll go out during the spring and summer with a few buddies in the boat and catch 20-25 texas keepers, and once they find them they'll go back and do it several days in a row. Then they'll see a picture like the one I posted and complain about how La limits are hurting the population, when in reality I won't make another meathaul trip for a couple of months. It doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense to me, TBH.

All that being said, the biggest issue facing sabine over the last decade has to do with salinity levels, not over fishing.
          Last edited by bullets13; 04-06-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Well at least its still not as much hate as you get posting a couple bass on the stringer on a bass fishing forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
              Well at least its still not as much hate as you get posting a couple bass on the stringer on a bass fishing forum.
              I'll eat a bass as well, but I throw the big girls back. Same with trout. Legal flounder are screwed if I catch them, because I'm eating them regardless of size.
              Last edited by bullets13; 04-06-2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                I don't completely disagree with you. I would be good with it if Texas and La adjusted their limits on Sabine to be the same. 10 fish at 14 inches would be a fair compromise IMO, but I could deal with Texas limits becoming the universal limit on Sabine. That said, about 99% of fishermen around here complained when the limit dropped from 10 to 5, and most of the ones complaining about La limits now don't have boats. For $92.50 it's insane to not buy an OOS Louisiana license and increase the amount of trout you can keep by ten, flounder by five, and reds by two, not to mention the smaller length limit, especially considering the drive is an extra 45 seconds across the bridge. I like to eat trout, and I like to fish. At this point it's $50 in gas just to take the boat out on a short run around sabine, so I'm going to catch as many for the freezer as a I can when I'm out there, because the days of taking the boat out 4-5 days a week during the spring and summer are over for the time being. I know a few guys who'll go out during the spring and summer with a few buddies in the boat and catch 20-25 texas keepers, and once they find them they'll go back and do it several days in a row. Then they'll see a picture like the one I posted and complain about how La limits are hurting the population, when in reality I won't make another meathaul trip for a couple of months. It doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense to me, TBH.

All that being said, the biggest issue facing sabine over the last decade has to do with salinity levels, not over fishing.
                I understand and I’m not complaining about you keeping fish at all. If the law says you, who am I to say you can’t. My issue is with the governing agencies being so far off on their limits from one state to the next on a shared body of water.

If you think that is hate, you may want to find a way to thicken your skin.

Comment

61st pier started posting up the first shark pics this week! Promised my 6 year old he would get first one this year. I doubt they are in thick yet but might head out there this Sunday and give it a go at Surfside with him.

Comment

I understand and I’m not complaining about you keeping fish at all. If the law says you, who am I to say you can’t. My issue is with the governing agencies being so far off on their limits from one state to the next on a shared body of water.

If you think that is hate, you may want to find a way to thicken your skin.
                    I don’t think you’re wrong about shared waters having different bags, but I’ll take advantage of it while I can. I do believe Texas anglers going day after day keeping mature fish full of eggs likely hurts the population as much or more as Louisiana anglers keeping more smaller fish. And I’ll have to agree with Man about the bass. Post a stringer of bass on a Toledo bend or Sam Rayburn page and some folks lose their minds.

Comment

61st pier started posting up the first shark pics this week! Promised my 6 year old he would get first one this year. I doubt they are in thick yet but might head out there this Sunday and give it a go at Surfside with him.
                      Two weekends ago my kiddo spotted 50+ sharks shallow (1st gut) with his drone. They were scattered in pods of 2 to 5 all along the shoreline for miles. Next evening he caught a 6 foot and a 7.5 foot sandbar.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        ...and this is why I NEVER post pics of ANYTHING I "harvest".
                        I think you misinterpreted him Charlie.

Couple posts down. He's saying 25 12" legal fish on one side of an invisible line while it's 5 and 15 on the other.

Ol slayr has posted some decks full of fat sabine trout in his day

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          I think you misinterpreted him Charlie.

Couple posts down. He's saying 25 12" legal fish on one side of an invisible line while it's 5 and 15 on the other.

Ol slayr has posted some decks full of fat sabine trout in his day

Not even an invisible line, except out at the jetties. As long as you’re in the main lake, you just can’t cross points of land. If you hold both licenses you can cross those points, but can’t cross into Texas bayous with La keepers. It’s all arbitrarily based on where you launch. It’s definitely a dumb system, but as long as tens of thousands of Texas angler are willing to pay $92.50 for an out of state license, I don’t see them changing it. I guess it could be worse. For most of Louisiana the limit is 25 trout.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                            Not even an invisible line, except out at the jetties. As long as you’re in the main lake, you just can’t cross points of land. If you hold both licenses you can cross those points, but can’t cross into Texas bayous with La keepers. It’s all arbitrarily based on where you launch. It’s definitely a dumb system, but as long as tens of thousands of Texas angler are willing to pay $92.50 for an out of state license, I don’t see them changing it. I guess it could be worse. For most of Louisiana the limit is 25 trout.
                            I've never fished it so im dumb to it. Toledo is my only shared line place. Sounds like huge honor system

Comment

I've never fished it so im dumb to it. Toledo is my only shared line place. Sounds like huge honor system

There is very very little honor anymore

Comment

most of us honor it because it's the right thing to do, and because the wardens will pop you if they catch you screwing up. without a doubt some folks dont.

Comment

Working...
                                X