Laptop computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop computer

Need to buy a laptop for my son starting college. Need some recommendations on what to buy only want to do it once. Looking at the Mac book but trying to save money. Also what should I look for as for as memory or speed and what programs should it have. Thanks green screen

Surface.

Comment

I've got a Surface Pro that I bought a few years ago to finish college. Worked perfectly for the purpose and am using it on my MBA now.

Everything seems to be cloud based now, so I wouldn't worry too much about hard drive storage.

Comment

Lenovo hands down. Had this current one 4 years, and it's still blazing fast. Used every day. Had friends in college who kept the same Lenovo all 4 years, no issues.

His school should supply as part of his lab fee's any software he needs. I got Windows and MS Office as part of my lab fee's. So check on that before you spend money for anything. You (or him) should be able to find this with his packet of information given at enrollment.

I am going to go out on a limb and say he probably doesn't need one. If he did, it would be supplied by the school, with a markup lol. But they are nice to have.

Comment

Man I will tell you if you can swing it go with a MacBook Pro. College has a lot of computer use and I went through 2 "cheaper" windows based computers before I got my MacBook, That was back in 2010 and I am still using that same computer today and it still functions flawlessly. You can go cheaper, but might end up having to get another one or 2 before they graduate.

Comment

Dell all the way if you are not going with Mac. Excellent support and a ton of different options to fit your needs. You can find a great deal on them as well.

I went with this one for my business and gaming needs:

It has been a great laptop! Only con- it is heavy! The Dell XPS laptops would probably be a better fit for his needs.

Comment

Surface pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Surface Pro. Depends a lot of what kind of use it will be as well though. If he is taking something that will require a bunch of video editing and like that, a Mac would make sense. Pretty much anything else, I would stick with Windows.

Comment

cannot go wrong with apple, I still use my MacBook pro for pics and video projects and I bought for college it 2009

Comment

Both my college kids are using a Dell with Solid State hard drives. You do sacrifice some memory to get the SSHD but mine both have external memory devices just in case. Any student with a college email account can get Microsoft Office for free.

Explore learning tools and software from Microsoft Education. Eligible students can use free Microsoft Office 365 Education and access products like Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

Western Digital or Seagate make decent external storage devices. It just plugs into the computers USB port and you can save files or backups to it.
                    Last edited by Monark; 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I am a Surface Pro fan and when I went through college I just used what the school had. Computer lab kept me out of some trouble and surrounded me with others who were there to learn. Mac books are great also.

Comment

Lenovo. Grandson has one he uses at Sam

Comment

Mac.

Unless doing photo/video editing he could probably get by just fine with a MacBook Air. Otherwise, get the Pro. While the product is hands down better than a Dell/Lenovo or whatever other brand (personal opinion but, I've owned plenty of them to draw comparison to including Surface Pro) but, the ecosystem is hands down the best out there. If he uses other Apple products the seamless integration between devices cannot be beat by Windows or Google/Android.

Comment

I know they use to sell macbooks off the apple website that were refurbished. Good as a new one and a discounted price.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Does the college offer any discounts through their IT department? I ordered my last one through UW where the spouse works and got it much cheaper and software was way cheaper as well. They also will offer IT help on it if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X