Form of Payment for a Vehicle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form of Payment for a Vehicle.

So I finally got a bite on my wife's truck yesterday. The guy came out and looked at it, we test drove it, and he decided he wanted it. Gave me a $100 cash, a personal check for $3000, and said the remaining amount will be coming from USAA. We would square up once the cashiers check arrived. Guy seemed like a real straight shooter, and I had no concerns about the transaction. Let everything clear the bank, then he can take the vehicle.

This morning, he calls me and said everything is squared away with USAA, and that the check will be arriving Tuesday of next week. Even went as far to say that USAA would not make the cashiers check out to me since my wife's name was the only one on the title, which I said ws no big deal. Here is where the red flag shoots up. He said he is in need of the vehicle this weekend, and asked if he can pick it up this weekend. So the obvious answer is no, and I told him that wouldnt work without a cleared payment. He offers to bring a cashiers check for the full amount, but when the USAA check arrives we would have to go to the bank to cash it and hand over the funds since it will be made out to my wife. Why didnt we just do this in the first place, but Ill play. Upon calling the bank I found out even that is not a secure payment anymore. The bank then informs me that even if funds clear, a person could claim it to be a fraudulent signature and have the funds returned. She said cash is the best option, but even that could be replicated and fake.

How the h#ll do I get paid for this vehicle?? The bank offered up calling USAA to verify funds as a way of combating fraud. They also mentioned PayPal or Venmo for protection. To protect myself, it looks like we're waiting till the USAA check arrives, which is the time the personal check clears, calling USAA to verify funds, then he drives away. If the deal falls through then so be it. I dont see any other way to secure a payment today so he can take the vehicle.

I've bought several used vehicles, all of which I showed up with a cashiers check and drove off. Cant decide if Im being too difficult here, or my concerns are justified.
    Last edited by solocam_aggie; 08-15-2019, 10:10 AM.

Cashiers check can still be stopped even if the funds are available at USAA. Until your bank gets the cashiers check CLEARED (not just funds verified) I would not let him take the vehicle.

Comment

I would say PayPal? 10,000$ limit per transaction, and can be tied to your bank account.

If he were to send the money you could have it within the hour. PayPal would charge a small fee and then draw it from his account later.

Comment

Can they have USAA wire funds to your bank account?

Comment

It's a shame you have to worry about this but it seems there is always a scam going on with stuff like this these days. Hope it works out for you. I don't blame you for being over cautious. I would be the same way.

Comment

Wire transfer from his bank, I did this with a Jeep I sold earlier this year. Guy was in Indiana, wired the money and soon as it was received my bank called me and put it into my account. I met shipper the next week and loaded the jeep and off it went. Really easy transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
              Wire transfer from his bank, I did this with a Jeep I sold earlier this year. Guy was in Indiana, wired the money and soon as it was received my bank called me and put it into my account. I met shipper the next week and loaded the jeep and off it went. Really easy transaction.
              This, why not wire it?

Do not use PayPal or Venmo, plenty of ways for people to pull the money out of YOUR account after it was sent.

Comment

So I googled and called the place of business named on his business card, and confirmed he is the owner.

Just got off the phone with him, and he offered to meet at the bank and receive funds directly from them. I can get cash that way. I still have this $3000 check pending though.

Comment

What kind of truck? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                    So I googled and called the place of business named on his business card, and confirmed he is the owner.

Just got off the phone with him, and he offered to meet at the bank and receive funds directly from them. I can get cash that way. I still have this $3000 check pending though.
                    Should have done this from the beginning. If you are both local, then meeting at the bank and withdrawing the cash is the best way.

The whole sending 2 checks then cashing one and refunding him in cash is a major NO NO. Scammers try to pull that all the time. Send a check for more than the sale price and then want the overage returned in cash

Comment

Sounds like a scammer, smart to not give him the car. I'd do just what the bank says for a secure payment or better yet give home back what he paid and back out to deal with someone more reliable

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post

I would do this and release the truck. Keep the title until deal is all said and done. Dont do a bill of sale until then either. Get copy of ID.

If it goes south, repo the vehicle.

Based on what you said it sounds legit.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                          I would do this and release the truck. Keep the title until deal is all said and done. Dont do a bill of sale until then either. Get copy of ID.

I agree with this.

Comment

sounds like you are right to be paranoid. he get's the vehicle and title when all funds are cleared and match the bill of sale.

a personal check is a waste of everyone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post

You first have to find the vehicle before you can repo it. That thing could be in Mexico by then

Comment

Working...
                              X