SPI Fishing Experts Surf vs Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPI Fishing Experts Surf vs Bay

Hey guys, not new to coastal fishing, also not new to SPI. Have a little different question.

I've been to SPI several times, didn't ever start fishing there until a few years ago. Have done some yak fishing, once with a guide. One memorable live thread with a string ray sting, followed by lots of beer, and limits of trout.

We are heading down the first week of June. I am very tempted to stick to surf vs kayaking the bay this time around.

What I'm curious about if i go this route, is the fishing that early in summer in the surf, and if it's any different running north up the beach, walking the beach where we stay, or going down near the south jettie.

I know look for bait, usually i throw spoon or soft plastics. Hope for the best. I've mainly been a inshore guy my whole life.

I really want to catch a jack crevalle heard they put up a fight. Never caught one. But mainly love specks and redfish.

Sorry for the essay guys. I will post a live thread when I go and

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Other than the kids catching whiting when they were young we haven’t done anything in the surf there.

We will be there a week before you and can pass along what we find.

Comment

June is one of my favorite times to fish the surf. Spring and fall are best times to fish for jacks. Once you catch one, you are over it. At least I am. Walk or drive the beach and look for washouts. 90% of the people pass up90% of the fish by fishing too far out as well. Keep that in mind. I can’t tell you how many fish I have caught standing on the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Other than the kids catching whiting when they were young we haven’t done anything in the surf there.

We will be there a week before you and can pass along what we find.
        Last trip I caught a few fat trout in the second gut. Right in the middle of everyone swimming and what not.

Sounds good, I'll shoot you a message when it gets closer. If the bays on fire I'll probably just bring the kayak.

Surf fishing has peaked my interest a little the last year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
          June is one of my favorite times to fish the surf. Spring and fall are best times to fish for jacks. Once you catch one, you are over it. At least I am. Walk or drive the beach and look for washouts. 90% of the people pass up90% of the fish by fishing too far out as well. Keep that in mind. I can’t tell you how many fish I have caught standing on the sand.
          Thanks for the tips. Majority of the fish I caught last time in the surf were in the first gut. Surprised me for sure!

Any tips on the jacks? Or just plain old silver spoons?

And will my 2500-3000 series spinning gear be enough? Usually throw 15lb braid.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
            Thanks for the tips. Majority of the fish I caught last time in the surf were in the first gut. Surprised me for sure!

If you hook a big one from land with that set up there’s about a 95% chance you get spooled.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

Those coffee grinders will be plenty for reds to 30". All these fish caught on reels of that size. Battle 2 2500 and 3000s. But a jack is gonna wear your azz out on a trout rod

As for the surf it will depend on weather when you get there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Quackerbox; 04-23-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I’ll be in Port Isabel all next week fishing. Never fished down that way so I’m hoping to find a few fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Those coffee grinders will be plenty for reds to 30". All these fish caught on reels of that size. Battle 2 2500 and 3000s

Caught plenty of fat reds on them. Just never a jack. Don't encounter them in the marsh much. Just curious about actually hooking a jack.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    I’ll be in Port Isabel all next week fishing. Never fished down that way so I’m hoping to find a few fish.
                    If boat or kayak I may be able to give you some tips for the bay.

Comment

If you suspect a jack. Hold the spool and point the rod at him to break the line.

Jetty tuna ain't worth my time if good fish are biting

Comment

I’m pulling my boat down.

Comment

If you suspect a jack. Hold the spool and point the rod at him to break the line.

He wants to actually catch one. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            He wants to actually catch one. Lol
                            See edit....[emoji1787]

Comment

Those coffee grinders will be plenty for reds to 30". All these fish caught on reels of that size. Battle 2 2500 and 3000s. But a jack is gonna wear your azz out on a trout rod

Is that picture from Spicers?

Comment

Working...
                              X