Questions about knives for my daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about knives for my daughter

So the plan is to get my daughter a good hunting knife (or a set) for her Christmas present. She is 15 and has hunting with me since she was seven.

What I'm looking for is either a fixed blade or folding blade around 4". Maybe looking at both as a set. These will be used by her for cleaning her own deer and game.

Questions: I'm looking for something that's going to hold an edge well and won't have to be sharpened half way through a deer. What types of blade steel should I be looking for? Keep in mind we're not looking to spend a fortune like for custom knives.
    Also, suggestions on the pro's and con's on fixed vs folding blades? (I'm throwing this out there just to start a lively debate!)

Anything else I should consider?

What price range?

Comment

fixed takes up more room but in my opinion is a better workhorse of a knife
      opposite and equal for the folder

Check out knives of Alaska they are great knives I know lots of guides that use their knife a lot that pack these knives.

also a go to brand is Case. Ive skinned a ton of deer with a trapper, they have some nice fixed blades too

I think for a set of knives you should look into a large and small set not a folder and non folder IMO

Comment

I really like the Outdoor Edge knives

Comment

Check out Anza knives. Good quality built knife that will not break the bank, and will last for years.

Comment

I would do a combo of a Havalon piranta, and a KOA (knives of Alaska) Alpha wolf, or Magnum Wolverine.
            All very good knives IMO, and with that combo, you could keep it close to under a $100.

Comment

I am a BIG fan of Cold Steel knives. I have quite a few of them. They hold their edges great and are very well made.
              This one would be a great economical choice for your daughter. Great steel, holds a great edge. Not too big and very well made.
              Swords, Axes, Machetes and The Coolest Knives For Sale From The Leader in Tactical Weapons and Gear

Comment

Originally posted by Dixiehunter View Post
                I would do a combo of a Havalon piranta, and a KOA (knives of Alaska) Alpha wolf, or Magnum Wolverine.
                All very good knives IMO, and with that combo, you could keep it close to under a $100.
                this!

Comment

Bunch of members here that do great custom knife work. not sure if one would have time but maybe already has one that would work.

bought one for my Daughter's 19th BD from a TBH'r she loved it. this one was $125 w/sheath and he even etched her name into the blade
                  Last edited by wassaw; 12-05-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I just bought my husband the outdoor edge that came with replacement blades from cabelas for 35.00. Not real pretty but functional for skinning.

Comment

+2

Comment

Here is one I have for sale. It has a smaller handle for a woman.
                        Attached Files

Comment

What price range?
                          We're looking to keep this under $100.

Comment

get a custom for the same price as a mass production knife here. You really cant beat custom. Be the only one to have one like it.

Comment

Working...
                            X