Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we have a legit conversation about crossbows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend that can’t pull a bow back due to shattering his forearm when he was a teen I tried to give him one of my first bows cranked down to 50# but it hurt to much so he bought a Parker crossbow and it uses a CO2 canister like a paintball gun uses and that canister cocks and u cocks the bow for him

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      At my age, there is no way in hell I would stay out the woods one year because a couple of jake-leg crossbow haters "don't approve" from their high and might tripod in the sky. Bleep em!.

I used to be against adding it to archery only season but have since lightened up after watching a few older men I know get to continue in the woods because of them. ClayW's dad uses a crossbow exclusively (even during general season) and I'm glad to see he still in the game with it. It may not be draw archery but it **** sure is a broadhead, a "stick" and some type of fletchings being flung. And you can certainly resell it and get some of our money back if you don't care for it still after you heal up. Getrdone!

On a side note...when I borrow your new Traverse as my backup to my Traverse this year, don't pay any attention to my initials carved in it.. Hopefully your last name start with an S, Jeff..

I’m with Jason. If people don’t like it they can **** up a rope.

If a crossbow gets me in the woods AND significantly lessens the chances of me doing further self inflicted damage to myself, crossbow it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Can we have a legit conversation about crossbows?

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

I’m with Jason. If people don’t like it they can **** up a rope.

If a crossbow gets me in the woods AND significantly lessens the chances of me doing further self inflicted damage to myself, crossbow it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m with them! My father in law is still able to get after it because of the X-bow, dad could if he wanted to, and my son may get his shot with it this year.

I’m also intrigued at the prospect of being able to shoot out a regular box blind window, and not having to build a blind specifically to bow hunt out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OP, I think the consensus is you need to get a crossbow and enjoy the season.

Let your injury heal up, and get a X-bow with a crank assist.

As many have pointed out, you can always sell it later.

Comment

Do what you want and enjoy the great outdoors.

Comment

As everyone has already stated...there’s absolutely no shame in doing what you have to do. I went to a crossbow after my 4th shoulder surgery and thinking I’d never be able to return to my compound. That said, I personally had a hard time dealing with the fact it was just as accurate and felt like a rifle. I never killed anything with it...not because I didn’t have the opportunity. I just lost the desire for awhile. Luckily, technology caught up (with today’s lighter bows) and I was able to get back on the bike after about a 10 year hiatus.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I have no time for elitist attitudes. Whether you hunt with a platform type long range rifle, an AR, a handgun, a 30-30, a Black Widow, a Model 70, the latest and greatest Mathews, or a crossbow it’s legally hunting. Call it archery or don’t, makes me no difference. I’m reminded of a line in the song “Garden Party” by Ricky Nelson.

“You can’t please everyone, so I’m gonna please myself”.

Well said brother, well said.

Go for it Radar! I'll watch your six with my CX Intercepter Supercoil.

Jut a FYI, Eotech red-dot sight makers makes a crossbow model with several dots to give you more of a multi-pin bow sight view. I've been kinda thinking about trying one out as there is no magnification like a lot of "scopes" have.

Speaking of scopes, I do have some magnifying lenses for my vertical bow sights. Is that any different from a "crossbow scope"? Not very much.

Comment

Radar, do what you need to. I hunted 40 years with various vertical bows and killed over a hundred animals with them, but the day came when I could no longer pull back a bow strong enough to hunt legally with, so I went to a crossbow. I have no regrets doing so. Have killed over thirty animals since and I do feel it is still bowhunting regardless of how some on here feel. I willl suggest that you go with a recurve limbed crossbow though. I started with compound crossbows and had several blow up or screw up on me at the most inconvenient times. And you can change the string in the field on a recurve limbed bow. I now own several Excalibur bows and the lesser expensive ones are just a accurate as the expensive ones. Look on the internet for good deals and be patient until you find what you want. But, I warn you they are addicting in their own way. Good luck. Feel free to pm me with any question you might have. Cheers BTW Excal has honored warranties on every used bow I’’ve bought.

Comment

I have one and im 44, arthritis in my trigger hand keeps me from using a release

Comment

I got pricing on 40 pound limbs for my Bowtech Reign 7 compound and they are 300.00, which would be useless after I heal. And after reading what Nurse Jenn said I will leave my wheelie bow alone and get a crossbow.

Actually I am amazed at how many of y'all agree to go get a xbow and be done with it. Maybe we have more in common that what we think.

I ordered one

Thanks everyone

Comment

I need to get one myself. I can't practice much anymore due to constant shoulder and elbow issues. I have shot a bow for close to 40 years, but not able to practice much I'm sure my skills will significantly start to fade at some point.

Comment

Well there ya go, now you can feel better about hunting with a crossbow with all the endorsements.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            Don, have you bought a crossbow yet?
                            Yessir, I have. I bought a Ten Point from a guy on AT. It has a crank, will stack arrows at 30 yards, and I’m gonna do my best to murder some hogs and maybe a deer with it. I will also be shooting some of them (hogs) with one of my Ruger Super Blackhawks. The way I look at it, a hog will be just as dead either way, and a deer will taste just as good !

Comment

Another vote.....

for ignoring the "purists"....

Same for the Centerpoint 370.... I've had one for 3 years and liked it so much I got one for my son.... Install the trigger adjustment modification and it's as good as a crossbow costing 5x+..... Search it on Crossbow Nation.

Comment

Well congrats Jeff!! Now OUT WITH IT!! What did you order?? Inquiring minds want to know... so's we can start the appropriate ribbin' thread!!

There's a world of good information in this thread too!

Comment

Working...
                                X