Moving to Houston area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
    Maybe up near Navasota as well. My options are wide open.
    Anderson/Navasota area is a great small town area with lots of history nearby. You have the birthplace of Texas at Washington on the Brazos and the historic homes in the countryside and decent hunting nearby without being in the houston traffic. I live just the way in Bedias.

Anderson/Navasota is 30 minutes from Bryan/CS, 40 minutes to Huntsville, 30 minutes from Brenham and 45ish minutes to lake Somerville. And their schools are good too. If i had the means, i would go that direction myself.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
      If you are a city person the Woodlands area ( and the areas around there the above guys recommended ) would be a good place to check out. Otherwise I would look farther North up to Walker County.

I would stay as far away from the actual city of Houston as possible but wont expound to minimize the risk of hurting someones feelings.

Congrats on the job!
      The Woodlands are the suburbs, meaning homes are in this area and stores are in that area over there. So if you are at home and need something you will get in your car and drive a distance to the store. If you live in the city and need something you can walk to get it and be back home faster than driving to said store in the burbs. I’m not knocking the burbs but I left the country ( and I mean the backwoods) and moved to the CITY as in the middle of Houston. It is tiring at times with the crowds and all but I’ve lived in The Heights for almost 30 years and can’t see myself living anywhere else! I do have to escape for a week or so at a time (hunting etc) but I love being able to walk to about 20 bars and restaraunts the hardware,grocery, liquor stores and the dentist and eye doc are walkable also. Houston has a lot to offer some not so great, but an enormous amount of really fun things also. Take your time and talk to the neighbors you will end up loving the city it has a lot to offer

Comment

Originally posted by Passafist View Post
        The Woodlands are the suburbs, meaning homes are in this area and stores are in that area over there. So if you are at home and need something you will get in your car and drive a distance to the store. If you live in the city and need something you can walk to get it and be back home faster than driving to said store in the burbs. I’m not knocking the burbs but I left the country ( and I mean the backwoods) and moved to the CITY as in the middle of Houston. It is tiring at times with the crowds and all but I’ve lived in The Heights for almost 30 years and can’t see myself living anywhere else! I do have to escape for a week or so at a time (hunting etc) but I love being able to walk to about 20 bars and restaraunts the hardware,grocery, liquor stores and the dentist and eye doc are walkable also. Houston has a lot to offer some not so great, but an enormous amount of really fun things also. Take your time and talk to the neighbors you will end up loving the city it has a lot to offer
        I lived one street off Washington and still had to drive to get to most things that mattered.

Comment

Originally posted by BHDILLEY View Post
          Mont Belvieu is really growing and the schools are top rated. Close to the chemicals industry, Port of Houston, major rail and trucking terminals, etc. Depending on your line of business. Also close to great hunting, bay fishing, offshore fishing.
          Come on man! Really? Live on top a salt dome that has leaked natural gas in the past off of I-10, next to Baytown, Hankamer, and not one good restaurant or shopping for miles. People live around there because they have to due to their type of work. Mostly chemical or refineries. Not because it is a quality area.
          Last edited by Bayouboy; 07-09-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Check out Texas Grand Ranch. Some friends just bought a piece there and we went and looked at it, it is a beautiful place. Far enough out to feel like country but with all of the city amenities.

Comment

With or with out kids.

Houston has 3 loops. 610 - Beltway 8 - 99

With kids I would look outside of 99. With out kids I would live as close as I could afford to 610.
              Been here 65 years. Ever where I have lived I can get on the roof and watch the fireworks show in downtown.
              We are 10 minutes from downtown, medical center, nasa, etc. Galveston is a 30 minute drive.
              The prices have gone through the roof. House across the street just got a full 2019 remodeling up grade. Literally everything new. 1500 square feet 2 bdr 1 bath
              Sold for 225K
              Good luck with the search..............

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                I lived one street off Washington and still had to drive to get to most things that mattered.
                That is the area you chose but if you were close to the circle there is a convenience store numerous restaurants etc within walking distance, or if you lived closer to Taylor street there is Target and all the shopping near it and all the bars and restaraunts at that end of Washington . I am very near Yale and 24 I have a Kroger a HEB, 2 liquor stores, 5-6 places to get a drink and numerous restaurants within a 5 minute walk.

Comment

How much property do you want to have? If you're looking for a typical subdivision lot, there are endless choices in lots of good areas. For a bit more space, have a look out around Navasota, Waller, Hempstead. Nice country and not too far from town when you must come in... I live in the NE corner of Harris county. I would not recommend this area. We love it here, but are concerned it's about to explode. The new section of 99 will be coming around just to the east of us and will probably bring a lot of unwanted growth along with it. We're considering a move out to somewhere near Sam Rayburn in a few years to get the hell out of here...

Comment

OP,
                    First off congratulations on your new job you and your family must be really excited. I have lived in Pearland over 20 years so I am partial to the Pearland Friendswood area. Close enough to everything and still a small town feel. Many of the areas posted above are fine choices. I would say that if you intent to travel by air much Hobby airport is within 15 miles from my house and is much easier to navigate through than IAH.

It also appears you may have small children and if so school districts are important. Pearland and Friendswood ISD are some of the best in the Houston Metro complex. Finally taxes would be a big concern for me. I believe our taxes are some of the lowest in the thriving areas that were mentions above.

In any case good luck and welcome to Htown.

Comment

thanks everyone! I do have kids but youngest is almost 16.

Comment

5th wheel/RV can be in a different place every week.

Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          The irony of this is, the guy that posted talking crap about EMC, lives in Shepherd.
                          I'm trying to keep people away traffic still not to bad over here.[emoji2957]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Good prices on land, compared to closer to Houston

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                            Anderson/Navasota area is a great small town area with lots of history nearby. You have the birthplace of Texas at Washington on the Brazos and the historic homes in the countryside and decent hunting nearby without being in the houston traffic. I live just the way in Bedias.

Anderson/Navasota is 30 minutes from Bryan/CS, 40 minutes to Huntsville, 30 minutes from Brenham and 45ish minutes to lake Somerville. And their schools are good too. If i had the means, i would go that direction myself.
                            The most important fact is where do you want to raise your family?

Navasota or Houston?

Drops mic and walks away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                              Come on man! Really? Live on top a salt dome that has leaked natural gas in the past off of I-10, next to Baytown, Hankamer, and not one good restaurant or shopping for miles. People live around there because they have to due to their type of work. Mostly chemical or refineries. Not because it is a quality area.
                              Mont Belvieu was great until those Old River/Dayton riff-raffs moved in!

Comment

OP....stay west of Houston......at least a hunert miles!

Comment

Working...
                                X