Camera setup.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera setup.....

Looking to get a camera and wanting to hear some options for beginner dslr that will be used for waterfowl purposes.... shooting pics of flying birds, working dogs, all that stuff. Thanks

Camera setup.....

What’s your budget?

Ideally, for BIF (birds in flight) and action you’re going to want something with a fast shutter speed and as with all things wildlife, something good in low light. Then you have the need for faster/longer lenses. To get those, costs go UP!

If you had 2k to work with I’d start with a Canon 80d or 90d, I believe it shoots up to 8 or 10 frames per second (FPS) and you’ll benefit from the 1.6x crop for the BIF. A Canon 70-200 f2.8. II IS would give you some reach and is a fantastic all around lens to learn with. Buying used you can stay under 2k.

I would add a Canon 50mm 1.8 as well. Great to have in your bag and cheap. Can be found for less than $100.

Edit to add: I believe ATX Tyler here has a 70-200 for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
      What’s your budget?

Ideally, for BIF (birds in flight) and action you’re going to want something with a fast shutter speed and as with all things wildlife, something good in low light. Then you have the need for faster/longer lenses. To get those, costs go UP!

If you had 2k to work with I’d start with a Canon 80d or 90d, I believe it shoots up to 8 or 10 frames per second (FPS) and you’ll benefit from the 1.6x crop for the BIF. A Canon 70-200 f2.8. II IS would give you some reach and is a fantastic all around lens to learn with. Buying used you can stay under 2k.

I would add a Canon 50mm 1.8 as well. Great to have in your bag and cheap. Can be found for less than $100.

Edit to add: I believe ATX Tyler here has a 70-200 for sale.
      Prob a grand tops it’s hunting season funds are tight haha. That’s some good info though I appreciate it!

Comment

What Congo said.

It's about like buying a bow. If you buy cheap, you'll always be wanting better. Save your money and get what you really want.

I have purchased Refurbed cameras from Canon direct and have had no problems.

Comment

Cameras are like vehicles ! Some like canon some like nikon. Just like Chevy or Ford. I recommend renting a few first of each see what you like pros and cons of each. I personally like Nikon. Like above was said it gets expensive might as well save and get what you want . Then get something and wish you had better. Your going to need something with high shutter speeds and some great glass (aka) lens . Get a lens with an Aperture that can go low like 2.8 or so. To allow lots of light in.

Comment

If you end up enjoying it you could end up spending a decent chunk of change on a wildlife kit.

Like hunting though, you need the birds to cooperate. Tonight they did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the good info!

Comment

Don't be afraid to shoot in aperture priority mode. I think there are some systems where you can lock in you shutter AND aperture and the ISO will adjust on the fly. Also, have your camera set to SPOT metering when shooting into the sky.

Comment

If you REALLY want to dive into the deep end, I have a used Canon 1DXMark II for sale right now. It's perfect for birds.

Let me know if you want to discuss. Your budget is about 1/3 of the way there, but, you'll have all you'll ever need in a body!

Comment

Chongo forgot one of the most important things...Make sure you have a solid tripod that is secure, and make sure you purchase insurance...At some point

Comment

After being on my 4th iPhone this year..... everything has insurance haha

Comment

Nothing wrong with that price range to get you shooting IMHO. The one thing I will say is you're going to have a tough time shooting birds in flight without a nice zoom lens, which can easily pass your alone just for glass.

A couple of options I can see to get you shooting.

1) Buy used. Just like hunting gear people are always upgrading and some quality used gear can be found for a significant discount.
                        Something like this would get you started and have some $$ leftover https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ighlight=canon

2) Buy one of the canon rebel cameras. Last I check the Rebel T7 with a kit lens is around $400, or with a standard kit lens and zoom around $500. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...?skuId=6323759

The T7 with the 75-300 is a decent zoom range for birds up close. Not only that, but you'll have $$ leftover for memory cards, camera bag, extra batteries, tripod etc.

Just like with hunting gear, the best gear in the world doesn't necessarily make you a better hunter without the practice and knowledge of how to use it. I had a Canon Rebel for 10 years before upgrading, granted I mainly shot family gatherings and trips, but it served me well. You'll have to practice shooting/composing shots just like you would practice with your bow/rifle to be proficient.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post

1) Buy used. Just like hunting gear people are always upgrading and some quality used gear can be found for a significant discount.
                          Something like this would get you started and have some $$ leftover https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ighlight=canon
                          I bet that guy would make you a sweet deal!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                            I bet that guy would make you a sweet deal!!!
                            LOL, didn't catch that

Scratch what I said about the T7. I was under the assumption you didn't have anything. You won't get a whole lot better than that T6 you have for under $1k IMHO. If you search the used market pretty hard you may get some incremental gains, but not worth it unless you just want something new. I would keep that T6 body and invest in some better glass like the sigma 100-600 sport that's in the classifieds.

Last edited by stxhunter; 11-19-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I sold that camera to get into drone pictures/scouting and that’s made me regret selling the camera lol now I’m just looking to get into another camera with more info on my plate about what I’m wanted and using it for so I’m not just buying blind again! Thanks for all the feedback though!!

Comment

Working...
                              X