Smoked Sausage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Sausage Question

I know after i mix in my spices and cure with my meat, i should wait at least six hours till i smoke the sausage. Is there a max time i can wait. Could i mix everything cure included and smoke the sausage on sunday??

Mix the meat, spice and cure before you grind. If you're not making a lot of sausage you can put it the fridge then smoke it on Sunday. If you are making a lot then after you mix and grind it will be around 6 hours, and then you can put it in the smoker afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter33 View Post
      Mix the meat, spice and cure before you grind. If you're not making a lot of sausage you can put it the fridge then smoke it on Sunday. If you are making a lot then after you mix and grind it will be around 6 hours, and then you can put it in the smoker afterwards
      I'm making about 40 lbs. Hog and deer have already been ground and mixed, no seasoning or cure added yet

Comment

We mix, grind, season, and smoke with no wait. Why wait 6 hours before smoking?

Comment

Add the the seasoning and the cure to the grind, then start to stuff (assuming you're making links) when you're done stuffing, I would put it in the smoker. Depending on the model of stuffer you use, you will either have fun or you will be looking for a new stuffer.

Comment

It'd be ok to wait till Sunday.

Comment

Your fine to keep it refrigerated till Sunday.

Comment

Yes it will be fine I have let the cure wait 3 days in the fridge before I stuffed before. Sausage came out great

Comment

hmmm...cool the way different folks do things different ways.

We cut up the meat, season, grind (coarse), then grind again (fine)

Stuff immediately and smoke that day. usually 2 good long sessions.
                  the "fresh/cooking" sausage comes off the next day.
                  the "dried" sausage gets one more good smoke and hangs in the smokehouse for 10 days - 2 weeks.

Been doing it this way for years with my F.I.L. (same way my grandpa did it), and my f.i.l. learned how to do it from his dad, who learned it from his, etc... same recipe for several generations.

Comment

As was mentioned, add spices and cure BEFORE Grinding, you get a more evenly distributed mix, then you should wait for the cure to do it's job, 36-48 hours is not too long.

Comment

Working...
                    X