new smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new smoker

Hello all I just got a new smoker and have never smoked anything and thus far I know nothing about it. I would love to have some instructions and some simple recipes to get me started. thanks all!!!

gotta season it real good first.

Comment

yep, season it first.

An easy start is beer can chicken...just do a search and follow directions.

Another good one is the Dr. Pepper Ribs.

Comment

Try this website. It is a great resource and has plenty of information.
        Jeff's new eBook includes two dozen favorite recipes from the website. All instructions have been re-written and double-checked for accuracy.

Comment

x2

Comment

no pics of the smoker = fail

Comment

What kind of smoker? Electric? Charcoal? propane? Made out of metal - aluminum, cast iron, etc? Used with a water (drip) pan or not?

I reckon folks can help you out a bit more if you let us know what your rig is.

Doug

PS) In my view, it is NOT necessary to season an electric smoker, like a Luhr Jensen Big Chief (from Hood River, Oregon). But if you are firing up a cast offset smoker, then I reckon you might want to follow that seasoning advice.........

Comment

Sorry for the lack of details I didn't know there were so many details. It is metal wood burning with a drip/water pan. It is just a $200 one from academy. Nothing fancy but then again I'm a newbe

Comment

Originally posted by rchisum View Post
                  Sorry for the lack of details I didn't know there were so many details. It is metal wood burning with a drip/water pan. It is just a $200 one from academy. Nothing fancy but then again I'm a newbe
                  Yes indeed I agree with the folks that recommend seasoning the unit, in that case. Almost all of my experience is with smokers that do NOT burn wood, so I am not of much help, sorry.

Doug

Comment

Most of the time you will want to smoke at around 220 degrees, give or take a few. So the first thing you will need to figure out is how much charcoal/wood you need to start with and how often you need to add charcoal/wood to keep it in that range. You will get a handle on that quickly through a little trial and error. I would start off with a whole chicken. Ribs, brisket, etc are trickier IMO and take some practice.

Comment

Happy Smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by rchisum View Post
                        Hello all I just got a new smoker and have never smoked anything and thus far I know nothing about it. I would love to have some instructions and some simple recipes to get me started. thanks all!!!
                        I have a Bradley, Works great.

Comment

For me it starts with the wood. I use alot of oak, but pecan, apple, cherry, hickory, and mesquite are always good to, it really all depends on the type of meat you want to cook. Next is temperature consistency, you want to keep it around 200-225 throughout the cooking process and I would recomend you pick a meat thermometer, as well as a temperature gage on the grill itself if you dont have one yet. Just remember low and slow, it takes about an 1 -1 1/2 hrs per pound.

Good luck

Comment

lookin at these

Comment

That smoking meat link is where I started...lots of good info

Comment

Working...
                              X