fletching feathers to Alum Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fletching feathers to Alum Shafts

I am sure this has been on here countless times butt I need to know the best glue that will work best for fletching feathers to aluminum shafts.

Thanks

Ken

I think I get this question every week from my JOAD and 4-H parents who are desperate to keep their kid's feathers on their arrows.

Ever since Bohning switched from their original formula (that worked GREAT) to the "platinum" version, I've seen more feathers fall off aluminum arrows than I ever wanted to. It's a shame they changed the formula. Must have worked too good.

These days, I use Bob Smith's Maxi-cure for just about everything. It's the only thing I've found that always works. If you don't order it from an archery supplier, you can get it pretty cheap too.

Comment

Regular old Fletchtite. Just make sure the shafts are very clean. I use acetone for that.

Comment

They wont send Fletch-tite or the Platiumn version to Hawaii any more.

It's flammable, I guess if the plane crashes and burns up they don't want any help with the glue catchin fire I guess.

Comment

I only use wood arrows so not sure if this will help. I recently tried some Gorilla gel type super glue that I got at home depot. I couldn't find my normal Duco cement. The gorilla glue has worked great with one exception, if I apply too much it does turn a frosty white, if I am careful not to use in excess it doesn't do that and the feathers do not come off.
          I bought it when I was desperate and experimented. Plan to continue using it unless Fletchtite starts making the original glue again or I find a new supplier of Duco cement.

Comment

Bowyer, that Gorilla glue is a Cyanoacrylate formulation, just like superglue and the Bob Smith Max-cure, so I'm not surprised it worked well.

There are 100's of Cyanoacrylate formulations out there now for all sorts of hobbyists. Model airplane hobbyists use the stuff all the time. That's a good place to look for fletching glue, believe it or not.

Duco cement shouldn't be that hard to find at a Hobby Lobby or Wal-mart craft section.

Comment

Easton Quickbond has been working real well for me.
              I've done carbon, woods, and aluminums with both vanes & feathers.
              Sticks them good, and sticks them quick.

Rick

Comment

Rick, I've had good luck with Quickbond too, but it's so DARN expensive!

I'm going to stock up on the airplane hobby glue. Same stuff, 1/4 the price.

Comment

had a fellow ask me to fletch some new 2x75's for him, use the platnum and on his hunt the dadgum feathers fell off. got them back tryed 2 kinds of superglue, duco, the super glues the brushon gel worked best, john has been great about this and were going to try fletch tape also,

THE BEST THING TO COME OUT OF THIS IS """I WILL NEVER WORK ON METAL ARROWS AGAIN.....

limbwalker hit it on the head after the change that glue "sucks" because it dang sure don't stick... for years i shot aluminnamin LOL and never had a problem like this

Comment

Yep John, it is pricey. Around $9 a bottle, but it takes very little of it to do the job, so a bottle goes a long way.

I actually use it for the adhesive in the construction of my tabs, and just recently repaired a broken pair of glasses for one of my grandsons with it. It's good stuff.

One of the things I like about it is - it doesn't set instantly. You've got about 10 seconds to make any adjustment you need in case your off a bit.

Another thing I like about it is - I can fletch a dozen arrows in mere minutes.

Rick

Comment

Duco has always been my go-to for wood arrows. a few years ago I tried the bonig
                      tape and liked it a lot at first, but after a while it seemed to quit working, and I was losing
                      feathers. I think it got old or something, I went back to Duco and no more problems, but
                      Duco doesn't work on aluminum, or, at least it didn't when I tried it years ago. I haven't
                      fletched any aluminum arras in a long time and didn't know they had changed fletchtite

I've noticed Duco is sometimes hard to find. The last time I stocked up on it,
                      I found it a ACE Hardware.

Comment

Rick, try some of that Maxi-cure in that link above. You won't be sorry.

Comment

Feathers on aluminum

Bohning Fletch tape, that's the way to go. I ahve been using it for 10 years, it works great. Just be sure the shafts are clean. Wipe them orr with alcohol of something that will remove any oils.
                          Chuck

Comment

Chuck, I tried fletch tape one time, and won't ever again. I had that bad of an experience with it unfortunately.

Comment

I've used just about everything. Platinum sucks for aluminum. Fletchtite is ok as is Duco. I like the tape best. You gotta really clean the shaft first.

Comment

Working...
                              X