Trad arrow weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad arrow weight

I'm committed to shoot a blacktail deer this season with my 41# Red Wing Hunter. I've had it for 48 years, and bought it with my own, earned money as a kid!

I took deer and pigs in 2007 with a 54# RWH which I gave to my son to hunt elk in the dark timber in Montana. He said by the time he draws-anchors-sights with his compound the bulls are gone.

I fletched a dozen Goldtip traditional, wood grained carbon arrows which weigh 415 grains with a 100 grain tip. They shoot fine. The bow had a twang on release (with wool bunches as string silencers) so A friend suggested I increase the arrow weight.

I put a piece of thick weed wacker line inside (475 grains total) and the bow got quieter, and shot well. I can get the arrow up to 570 grains with 2 more pieces of slightly thinner line. I've not tried that yet.

My question is- how would you decide the final arrow weight if the all seem to shoot equally well?

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Go to a 150gr broadhead and tune it. With that light of a bow shot placement will be far more important than trying to get a pass thru

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with LJ. A well tuned arrow and shot placement with a scary sharp 2 blade broadhead are going to be more important with a lighter bow. I've had pass throughs on whitetail with 42# and around 500gr arrows on several occasions because my arrows were well tuned and my broadheads were scary sharp.

Comment

Your arrow setup is currently at 10gpp, which is pretty good. I pretty much shoot for something between 10 and 12 gpp. Above 12 and the drop becomes more noticble inside 20 yards.

I would try to reach 450-490 gr range. Not knowing how well you are tuned, its hard to recommend how to get there... but me personally, I chose heavy 2 blade BH (175 gr) with some insert weights over using tube weight.

Comment

I'm currently at 475 grains and they are flying nicely- no fish tailing in flight.
          Increasing the weight will reduce the arrow's speed as well. Is there any reason to go heavier (and slower) than 475 grain? I do not have a chronograph but a 41 pound, 1968 vintage RWH is not a screaming-fast bow, and I have been cautioned against using fast flight strings since the tips were not meant for it and can delaminate.

I plan on shooting the Magnus 2-blade, basic broadheads. I killed the deer and hogs with them in the past and my observations were a. the blood trail was poor, but b. the animals ran 30 yards and dropped in the dirt so it did not really matter.

Comment

The way I decide the final weight is by speed and the trajectory ,if the arrows is hitting where your accurate then it's good to go . I shoot 425 gr out of 43 lb recurve and get pass throughs. My arrow weight is close to 10gpp. I have shot heavier 500gr but didn't like the trajectory at 30 yds. too much drop for what I was used to .

Comment

Personally, I think 475 grains is just fine. I'd be happy shooting 475 grains out of a 41# bow (11.5 gpp) and I wouldn't go higher.

You go up in weight to get more momentum which increases penetration. The bow is already slow like you said. shaving a little bit of speed to get you some momentum is the tradeoff you are looking for.

Again, personally, I'd put that extra weight up front for two reasons:

1) heavier point gives you higher FOC, which also aids in penetration.
              2) heavier broadhead usually (not always) means sturdier and beefier broadhead.

Good luck on your goals. They are totally achievable. Try your best to get a shot inside 15 yards and you'll be giving yourself the best chance you can at a successful outcome.

(If you read around on here... you will find the vast majority of hunting shots taken with trad gear are in that 15 yard or less range.)

Comment

I shoot in the mid 400s on everything from elk on down with a 50lbs recurve and a 29 dl.

Comment

I'll agree with Swamprabbit. Weight wise it sounds good, but I would definitely try to put it in the nose and not throughout. I tried the line in my arrows but had an issue with the nock getting kicked out at impact. Anyhow. If you put a brass insert (say 100 grains) in the nose you will also change the spine. It may become to weak if your current set-up is flying true. LOTS of variables. Find a confident arrow and stay with it. Good Luck on a Blacktail.

Comment

Thanks again. I'm going to try shooting some of the heavier arrows to see how the fly, and I think I have some 125 and 145 grain tips to see how they fly.

T minus 3 weeks to deer on Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                      Thanks again. I'm going to try shooting some of the heavier arrows to see how the fly, and I think I have some 125 and 145 grain tips to see how they fly.

T minus 3 weeks to deer on Saturday!

Do they sell camo tank tops, shorts, and flip flops? I envy the early season, but not the temps.

Comment

Mornings and late afternoons are not bad, we have low humidity (41% today) and it generally gets into the high 80s or low 90s in the afternoon- when I'll be under an oak tree. I can complain about a lot of things living here but the weather is not one of them.

The deer are covered in fleas and ticks as the norm, but you get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X