Boat trailer blew a hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat trailer blew a hub

Well, boat is stuck at the lake until Saturday. I took it up there for memorial and after launching on the third day there, my buddy hit a huge pot hole pulling trailer out of the water. Luckily i noticed the damage after wanting to examine it due to the trailer jumping 3 ft in the air, but there was grease slung all over the rim and the tire just wiggling freely. I am afraid i over greased it, and if thats the case then i probably over greased the other side as well.

I am not sure exactly when the grease started coming out but it had to have been on the highway. Anyone else with experience with this?

Happened a couple times, get some new bearings and grease and install pretty simple.

Comment

Does the wheel have "play" top to bottom when you move it? You may have just blew the seal by over greasing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
        Does the wheel have "play" top to bottom when you move it? You may have just blew the seal by over greasing it.

Well i was pretty frustrated when it happened so I am not positive i just know it had a ton of play side to side.

Comment

so should I just buy a 5 lug hub assembly?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by SETXbowhunter22 View Post
              so should I just buy a 5 lug hub assembly?
              I would and replace both sides while you are at it. Piece of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                I would and replace both sides while you are at it. Piece of mind.
                That's probably what I'll do. If I over greased the one im sure i did the other as well.

Comment

The bearings and seals aren't hard to replace if nothing else is damaged and they're pretty cheap. The complete hubs aren't real expensive either. I think they're like $40 or $50 for the ones for my trailer at Northern. I keep a spare in the truck for my boat trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by mix View Post
                    The bearings and seals aren't hard to replace if nothing else is damaged and they're pretty cheap. The complete hubs aren't real expensive either. I think they're like $40 or $50 for the ones for my trailer at Northern. I keep a spare in the truck for my boat trailer.
                    It only takes once. I will now keep a spare in my truck as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SETXbowhunter22 View Post
                      It only takes once. I will now keep a spare in my truck as well.
                      Yep. I've broken 2 leaf springs on the trailer. I keep spares of those now too. I was able to limp home the first time it happened. The 2nd time I was on my way to Galveston on 45. It broke right outside of Huntsville about 10 at night. We changed it on the side of the road in about 30 or 45minutes. It sucked but we got it done.

Comment

Been there man. It stinks.

Comment

Yep. Boat trailers suck. Lol. I keep a spare hub assembly and tools in my truck.

Comment

If you replace the hubs go with some that have the grease fitting built in so you can repack the bearings often. Pump new grease in until it isn’t coming out dirty anymore and you are set

Comment

I think trailers ought to come with a spare hub mounted with the spare tire on it. I did one this way after losing bearings on a trip. Bought an axle stub and a hub, welded the stub on for the spare mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X