Refrigerant burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refrigerant burn

I got a pretty gnarly refrigerant burn on my hand today and am looking for advice on how to care for it. When taking refrigerant gauges off of an outdoor ac unit my hand got blasted pretty good with the refrigerant. There’s a large blister on my index finger. I’m new to this field so I don’t know what’s common and what’s something to be concerned about.

Thanks for the help

It’s actually frostbite. Treat as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
      I got a pretty gnarly refrigerant burn on my hand today and am looking for advice on how to care for it. When taking refrigerant gauges off of an outdoor ac unit my hand got blasted pretty good with the refrigerant. There’s a large blister on my index finger. I’m new to this field so I don’t know what’s common and what’s something to be concerned about.

Thanks for the help
      They make quick disconnect valves for your gauges you should look into.

Comment

I use a check valve fitting on the liquid line. That way you pull it off, and bleed the liquid back into the suction line through your manifold. Early in my career they didn't have the check valve fittings or hoses. Still have some loss of feeling in my right index finger. Treat it like frostbite, as stated earlier, and get you a check valve fitting, or hose.

Comment

I prefer the hoses with a valve on that end. That way your leaving that refrigerant in the line or like double bogey said you can drain it into the suction line

Comment

I don't like the check on the suction hose. Slows me down, and can interfere with vacuum flow.

Comment

Go back to work tomorrow. Then the next day. And the next. Continue until the burn is healed, and focus on not doing that again.

Either get new hoses as mentioned above or learn how to hold your hand to avoid the blowoff. Best advice I can give is to wear gloves when handling refrigerant.

I gave myself a really bad burn once when charging a unit. I was kneeling down and I opened the valve to start charging with liquid. Problem was, using 4-port gauges, I had a brainfart and opened the vacuum port, with no hose on it. Burned my inner thigh through my pants. Still have a scar.

Comment

aloe vera is fantastic for treating burns..stops the pain and speeds healing.

Comment

Guess I’ve done it long enough that I don’t even pay attention

I recommend getting the ball valve hose attachments

Comment

I used to work for a plant that produced liquid nitrogen, oxygen and argon. I've been burnt hundreds of times. Just treat like any hot burn.

Comment

Working...
                    X