Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring and life in general...

Wow...

I'm one of the "old" guys in here and I'm OK with that. I'm not really "old" in my book (mid 50's) but in a lot of your eyes I would be dismissed as old. I'm not mad at deer anymore. I shoot pigs when it's convenient but I'm really not mad at them either even though they tear stuff up... I actually enjoy watching them...

I sure enjoy reading the threads from you younger guys that are still mad at them.

I love this time of year. The older I get, the more I appreciate it.

I know that everyone is working hard to provide for themselves and their families and sometime it seems like you just run this treadmill but this is the time of year that you should pay attention to.

Take some time to just enjoy the annual post winter rebirth of the world around you. Look at the buds swelling on the trees...the early blossoms...the reinvention of life after a long hard winter...take your kids out and show them and explain the rebirth of life to them. I don't think it's just a coincidence that Easter with all it's implications is just around the corner...

I was at the ranchito this afternoon and was lucky enough to see a big flight of geese heading north...500+ in huge interlocking V's flying amazingly low for a clear day sunset...it just took my breath away...and yes TBHers it DID happen without pictures...

Just saying guys...don't forget to enjoy the big picture as you scheme and plan how to kill that big one next year...the older you get the more you will learn to appreciate that annual cycle of life...

CC

That was a good read. Two thumbs up from another oldtimer.

Comment

Beautiful post. I'm right there with you, watching the dogwoods break out in bloom.

Stu

Comment

Living and working out here on the ranch really allows me to soak it all up. I love the change of seasons. It puts a pep in my step. I am 33.

Skinny

Comment

I am in the same boat with you. Just not mad at them any more.....

Comment

Well said, sir! Thanks for posting

Comment

I am going on 48, aint mad at em, but sure like eatin em!!!

Comment

Very well put CC - weird how little formerly insignificant things become more interesting. In fact I was just out in my front yard this evening contemplating the first dandelion of the spring - really studying it. Another lap around the sun and things start coming alive once again. The further north of 50 I get the more I marvel at the small things...
                Last edited by jerp; 03-01-2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Having turned 57 not long ago, I'm with you CC. Though in my mind I still try to think younger than I am, the body speaks to me in a different way. I find I don't get mad as much as I used to. Try to roll with the flow and figure things out that perplex me. If I can't, it's ok. New life is much more meaningful to me now. The cycle of life!

Comment

i'm with you not mad and enjoying all around me.

Comment

I never really been mad at any of "them". Just fun to swhack em'!!! And they taste good. But i do hear ya...... the Bradford pears in my yard are bustin' out and lookin nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hammackc View Post
                        I am going on 48, aint mad at em, but sure like eatin em!!!
                        LOL, trust me, I'm an assassin when it comes to culling and eating venison and piggies...

Seriously, though...you young guys should plant a tree with your kids this year...I've got trees in my yard at the house 20+ feet tall that I can walk around now under and remember and savor that moment.

Comment

I couldn't agree anymore!

Comment

I lost my brother 3 1/2 yrs ago, he was 49, lost my dad this past April, the best times for me to savor the memories are on stand or in the mountains! Life is so short, enjoy every minute!

Comment

Great post, CC! Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X