Everything Sushi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post

I like the grocery store and mid-level restaurant sushi that I have tried, but I've not had sashimi or "high-end" sushi....at $200+ a head, we probably won't. That being said I've spent $125ish/ea on steak & lobster many times, I just can't wrap my head around dropping that kind of coin on a few bite-sized pieces of fish/seafood.
    Most places you can order a la cart. You can have some good stuff for 30.00.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread gave me a hankering for sushi. Ran to a buffet place for lunch. Got there early and was able to get the sushi just as the sushi chef was making it. It was dang good! I probably had 6-7 different kinds!

Comment

Try a salmon skin hand roll. Its like a Japanese taco and really good. It is not usually on the menu, but just ask.

Comment

Not sushi but I recommend Hamachi Kama, it's a grilled yellowtail collar that's absolutely delicious. My 6 year old daughter always orders one when we go out for sushi.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
            Not sushi but I recommend Hamachi Kama, it's a grilled yellowtail collar that's absolutely delicious. My 6 year old daughter always orders one when we go out for sushi.
            Is this on most menus or do you have to ask for it?

Comment

Go to HEB and buy Ahi Tuna, either in the fresh case or frozen. Slice 1/4 inch thick. Cook sticky rice and when cooled, form a round chunk 2" long x 3/4" thick. Lay tuna slice over it. Next, a thin slice of cucumber and top with a thin slice of avocado. Drench in a mixture of soy/wasabi and stuff yourself - all for about $6.

I do this often. Most of the HEB fish market guys will tell you it's perfectly safe. The others are wusses.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                NOBU was definitely the trendsetter in America & outside of Asia for high-end sushi. NOBU has grown globally to probably 20 locales, if not more! Heck, we even have his book in our library and eaten at various locations around the states and the world over the years. Our last two visits or so have not been overly impressive. I think that is more due to the fact that sooooo many excellent competitors have hit that restaurant segment.
                Yes, once you have had TOP TIER anything in life (food, vehicles, hunting gear, concert seats, etc) anything else would usually not be as good. HEB quality is mid tier. It is a quick fix for us addicts that may not have the time to sit thru a 2 hour NOBU experience or even a 45 minute lunch at a local joint.
                In the instance of food/drink emotions & price & pre-conceived expectations are a big factor. I eat out often and generally can deal with crappy service and so so food when they screw up. I roll with it. Agreed the higher end places you have greater expectations of the overall experience and when not met most will lie about it since they let everyone know "guess where were going tonight" garbage. Just like all the food threads on TBH no one will agree whats best.

In the first world people problems thread I mentioned that I am addicted to this seasoned/spicy tuna sushi place that opened up two months ago in walking distance from my house. They get a pass tonight.

For those in Houston if you ever find yourself near Shepherd and 34th street on Tuesday evenings drop into Cottonwood. It's a bar with live music outside. Tuesday nights they run a 10oz fillet steak special with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans for $17.

It's a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                  I like sushi and runny yokes..........

I’m not seeing a problem with this[emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                    Like Dale said. I like it. It's good. Nowhere near as good as brisket and ribs. Not even close. Or Tex Mex.....or crawfish.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    Not even close if your taste buds never fully developed. Ever wonder why Sushi is hardly ever offered to kids? They mostly like bland stuff when they start eating solids, and then their taste buds evolve from there and stop somewhere. Some peoples tastes buds max out on Hot dogs and some go all the way to sushi and even more. If you think Tex mex is the Pinnacle of food I can't help you. There is a reason most of Tops Chefs love sushi, and a lot if people spend $$$$$$ on good sushi.

Comment

We love it as well. Wasabi story that was amazing to watch. We were at Wolfgang Pucks at Downtown Disney with our group, 3 couples with no kids and doing some drinking, sushi and just a good time. There's a German/European guy that is massive, looks like Dolph Lundgren but thicker. He orders a sashimi board with 15 pieces and gets ready to eat. Waitress asks if they need anything else and he points at the golf ball size dollop of Wasabi and says "3 more please". I tap my buddies, motion and say y'all get ready, there's about to be a show at the next table. We are expecting a Pistol Pete reaction with steam coming out of his ears as he takes a third of that golf ball chunk of Wasabi and puts it on top of a slice of Tuna and eats it. Absolutely no reaction at all, like it was nothing. This guy just eats a thumb size wad of wasabi and doesn't flinch. He proceeds to eat it all and all 4 servings of wasabi. I was in awe to say the least. It was impressive.

Comment

Dang it Tim. Look what you made me do.

Just to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rotney View Post
                          Dang it Tim. Look what you made me do.

Just to start.

You know you just screwed yourself right? I can guarantee Tim is assigning you to dinner with that spread on the next TBH hunt.

Comment

Everything Sushi

The AK-47, shrimp tempura, spicy tuna, avocado topped with deep fried soft shell crab.

Last edited by Rotney; 06-18-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                              You know you just screwed yourself right? I can guarantee Tim is assigning you to dinner with that spread on the next TBH hunt.

Don’t want to hear it. He can’t even make it to Deckhands.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                                There's a "go round" in Frisco off of Preston just South of 121 if anyone in the area is interested. They have a Sunday special which is pretty hard to beat price wise.

I’ll meet ya there sometime and we can tear it up.

The best sushi I’ve found in Plano is Simon’s. NE corner of 75 and Plano Parkway. It’s absolutely awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X