Accuracy Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accuracy Issue

A buddy of mine and I was shooting his Daniel Defense DD5V1 topped with a Nikon M-308 and we ran into some accuracy issues. He took this rifle on an Elk and said the ride back on horse back was rough.

Well we shot and it 25 yrd was 12 inches. Finally got it close. Went out to 100 and then we could not get a consistent grouping. We used good ammo. Hornady precision hunter 168. The rifle has shot well with this ammo before.

The only difference is we added a suppressor. However, we were trying to sight in the entire time. So I don’t see the issue there.

My thoughts are that on his pack out from hunting he really hit something and scope is not functions right. Second thought is the muzzle brake for the suppressor is loose and moving. Next, the rings are loose. Maybe the ammo is doing well the suppressor but I’ve never seen that happen if the rifle already likes the ammo.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda sounds like a baffle strike. Shoot without the can on.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Kinda sounds like a baffle strike. Shoot without the can on.

I have had a baffle strike and the can flew off the rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
        I have had a baffle strike and the can flew off the rifle.

They don’t always do that. And you can’t always see the impact marks on the baffles. This is the most obvious problem. He may have installed the mount with a crush washer which is not suggested. A slight strike can throw a bullet all over. And if you launched a can with a baffle strike it wasn’t tightened down and is probably why it got hit.

Comment

They don’t always do that. And you can’t always see the impact marks on the baffles. This is the most obvious problem. He may have installed the mount with a crush washer which is not suggested. A slight strike can throw a bullet all over. And if you launched a can with a baffle strike it wasn’t tightened down and is probably why it got hit.

The baffle strike sounds the most apparent now. There is a crush washer before the QD.

Comment

Anybody else have any ideas?

Comment

Suppressor shouldn't contact the projectile. Really shouldn't have much if any affect on the projectile at all, other that the weight added to the barrel, harmonics and the like.
              Really sounds like you are getting a slight strike probably at the end cap. I have had this with a customer before, turned out his thread job wasn't concentric to the bore, and it was leaving copper inside the bore of his end cap.
              Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m with trophy8 and thinking baffle strikes. Lose the crush washer

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                  I’m with trophy8 and thinking baffle strikes. Lose the crush washer
                  Yep. No QD muzzle brake should use a crush washer. Any suppressor mfg will tell you so.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                    Yep. No QD muzzle brake should use a crush washer. Any suppressor mfg will tell you so.
                    He doesn’t believe me

Comment

1) Check all screws on rings and torque to mfg spec. Don’t guess. Use a torque wrench. Generally 15-25 in/lbs on most rings and 65in/lbs on cross bolts.
                      Shoot 5rd group, see if it fixes it. If not...
                      2) Take suppressor off. Check for loose mount, baffle strikes, etc.
                      shoot 5rd group. If it doesn’t fix it..
                      3) Copper strip and clean barrel. Fire 20rds to re foul barrel and check grouping.

Have a known good shooter shoot it also. Because honestly, most people don’t like to hear this, but they suck at shooting. Even 100yds. I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard someone say they can’t get something to group well, only to lay down behind it and have no issues.

Good news is he is starting with a quality rifle so eliminate one thing at a time till y’all figure it out.

Comment

He doesn’t believe me

As much as it pains me....you were right.

Comment

It turned out to be a baffle strike at the end cap.

Thank goodness there is a lifetime warranty on Sig Sauer Suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
                            As much as it pains me....you were right.

Glad I could help

Comment

Glad I could help

[emoji1303]

Comment

Working...
                              X