Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insect ID

Any ideas on this vermin? (magnified)

They are a slight bit larger than a gnat, but bite like a sonofa... leaving an itchy mosquito like bite (sometimes in clusters of 3+) that can also be surrounded by a red, irritated rash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bug.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	25170525

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
    Any ideas on this vermin? (magnified)

They are a slight bit larger than a gnat, but bite like a sonofa... leaving an itchy mosquito like bite (sometimes in clusters of 3+) that can also be surrounded by a red, irritated rash.

[ATTACH]945066[/ATTACH]
    Black fly?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Black Fly was my first guess... but this guy is much smaller. Though this could be a juvenile

I half think they are what a friend of mine refers to as a Buffalo Gnat... "3 or 4 of them could eat a whole Buffalo"

Comment

I think you have seen a " Noseeum".

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Black Panther?

Comment

buffalo gnat---aka "noseeums" They are bad news. Run away as fast as you can. They got to us playing golf in Brownsville years ago.

Comment

That is a Juvenile Bot Fly. You will most likely be dealing with this emerging from your skin in 2-3 weeks
                Attached Files

Comment

Yeeesh!

Im not convinced its either a black fly or bot fly...solely due to antennae structure and relative length. I may be wrong.

JFisher...can you see four wings or only two? Gotta look close. Insects often “velcro” their front and rear wings together...like hornets and wasps...which makes them look like theyve got one set of wings. Flies rear wings have disappeared through evolution to a set of gyrocoptic(sp?) clubs called halteres(sp?) which help them be more acrobatic in flight.
                  Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-06-2019, 10:45 PM. Reason: UnconvincedMorphologySpake

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                    Yeeesh!

Im not convinced its either a black fly or bot fly...solely due to antennae structure and relative length. I may be wrong.

JFisher...can you see four wings or only two? Gotta look close. Insects often “velcro” their front and rear wings together...like hornets and wasps...which makes them look like theyve got one set of wings. Flies rear wings have disappeared through evolution to a set of gyrocoptic(sp?) clubs called halteres(sp?) which help them be more acrobatic in flight.
                    Just 2 wings

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      That is a Juvenile Bot Fly. You will most likely be dealing with this emerging from your skin in 2-3 weeks
                      Ech, I hope you're wrong

Comment

Flying ant. I have em in my house for some reason right now. Just sprayed ant spray and killed the jokers.

Comment

Insects don't have juveniles. They hatch full grown..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                            Insects don't have juveniles. They hatch full grown..

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
                              Just 2 wings
                              Look very closely at the base of the wings. Sometimes the second set hide but can be seen by looking at the wing base.
                              Halteres will look like a ball on a stick...maybe fuzzy balls...and will be behind the front set. They stick out at a 45 degree...ish.

Next look at the mouth. Does it look like mandibles...aka...ant, grasshopper wasp mouth parts. Like they grab things...like crab claws.

Or...are the mouth parts like a housefly or mosquito...tubular and jut out forwards and down from the head
                              Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-07-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X