Sharpening Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpening Tip

I've found that the newer Zwickey quaility has gone down. The angle on the edges are not true.

I've put them on a KME sharpener then used a belt sander to true them up.

After a crock stick will put a shaving edge on them easily.

I can also repair a head that has been shot and damaged.

BTW I've found that Magnus heads come from the factory with a much better edge.

I have never shot Zwickey's. Always found them hard to sharpen. I agree with you that Magnus heads come from the factory with a much better edge. Sharp but not quite sharp enough for my liking. A few very light strokes with a Rada sharpener will do wonders for a Magnus.

Comment

This is what I use on my Zwickeys. Puts a very sharp edge on.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
        This is what I use on my Zwickeys. Puts a very sharp edge on.
        Yep I have a Rada sharpener. It’s a great tool.

My last 2 doz Zwickey’s edges are terrible. The Rada did not work.

Comment

Are the zwickeys harder steel than the Magnuses?

Comment

Originally posted by styksnstryngs View Post
            Are the zwickeys harder steel than the Magnuses?
            I do not know. However my problem is that the edges on the Zwickeys were terrible. Not a hardness issue.

I’ve been bow hunting for 43 yrs and have killed lots of game with Zwickeys, Magnus, Wensel’s, Razorcaps etc. I’ve sharoened a few heads.

The tip I gave works great for heads that have been shot and the edge rolled, chipped etc. It’s just another trick to get a sharp head fast.

This was not a thread to bash Zwickeys although I am disappointed in my last batch.

Comment

Zwickeys aren’t ready to hunt out of the box for sure. They haven’t been that way in my lifetime. Maybe before I don’t know.
              They are still my favorites. I have no doubt that there are heads that are made better out of the box. But I’ve never seen a “better” head once a zwickey is tuned and sharpened.

I sharpen them out of the box by first mounting to an arrow or shaft and spin test straight. Then I use a file to shave the bevel into an even clean edge. Typically the tip has a corner 3/4 up the way that base to be filed off.
              After that I either use a good butchers steel or a lansky sharpening system to knock off the burr. Then I strop them until they are super sharp. The lansky and the steel both will get them shaving sharp, but the stropping gets it perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet that sander does make quick work of the initial edge work though!!

Comment

There is a good u tube on how to use a Rada. I was not doing it correctly when I first got it.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                    There is a good u tube on how to use a Rada. I was not doing it correctly when I first got it.
                    Thanks

I am going to watch it and see what I am doing wrong

Comment

I use the RADA on my Simmons heads, pull across at a 45 degree angle and works great

Comment

Zwickys are supposed to be 52 Rockwell which isn't all that hard but it does seem harder than Magnus and Stos to me. I used Magnus for about 3 years and the Stos for about 3 years and am now back to my Zwicky Delta's, 4 blades. I have used them more than any thing else and have some with my name and address scratched into the paint and haven't lived there since 1970. They remain my favorites.

Comment

My new little KME jig also removes a lot less metal off of the tip where the three layers are sandwiched together.

It also stops me from removing the metal from the ferrel when trying to hold the file at an angle.

It’s also very quick

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                            Yep I have a Rada sharpener. It’s a great tool.

My last 2 doz Zwickey’s edges are terrible. The Rada did not work.
                            This. Exactly.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for the tip. I have a 1" belt sander and I absolutely cant br these BH's sharp. Might just mean I suk, but I try.

Comment

Working...
                              X