Big Knife with Hamon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Knife with Hamon

1075 with hamon and feels so good in my hand. It's big, 10 1/2 inches OAL the cutting edge is 5 1/2 inches. Stainless steel bolsters brushed finish with white fiber spacer and stabilized Black Palmwood for the handle. I had fun building this knife, I squeezed this one in between some custom orders I had to fill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	phpCvaBR2AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	25162353

Name:	phpmJkImKAM.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	25162354

Love a good hamon. What steel? 1095?

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Love a good hamon. What steel? 1095?
        1075, I love working 1075 when I'm not using 52100. 1075 has plenty of manganese to make a good hamon. Sometimes I edge quench 52100 but I normally don't etch it, the line is real faint in that type of alloy.
        Last edited by Bjankowski; 10-22-2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Thanks Sam, did you stop making knives bro? I haven't seen you posting any in a long time. You're pretty good at it.

Comment

Thanks! I haven't stopped making them, but I've slowed WAY down. Apparently, I'm not allowed to post pictures of my knives on here because I'm not an associate sponsor anymore. The last time I posted a picture, it was just for show and tell. It was a knife I made for myself and had no intention of selling, but it still got deleted, so I decided not to post anymore. I still post them on Instagram, though.

480 Followers, 176 Following, 483 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Sam Harper (@sambostuff)

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                Thanks! I haven't stopped making them, but I've slowed WAY down. Apparently, I'm not allowed to post pictures of my knives on here because I'm not an associate sponsor anymore. The last time I posted a picture, it was just for show and tell. It was a knife I made for myself and had no intention of selling, but it still got deleted, so I decided not to post anymore. I still post them on Instagram, though.

http://instagram.com/sambostuff
                Understand.

Comment

Made the sheath for it today.

Name:	phpiHjtecPM.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	24558494

Comment

Beautiful work.

Comment

Ok I said I would eventually. THIS might be the one, Bjank!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                          1075, I love working 1075 when I'm not using 52100. 1075 has plenty of manganese to make a good hamon. Sometimes I edge quench 52100 but I normally don't etch it, the line is real faint in that type of alloy.
                          I have never used 1075. What do you find are it's advantages if you don't mind me asking?
                          Other than quenching well with brine.
                          Last edited by muzzlebrake; 10-23-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            I have never used 1075. What do you find are it's advantages if you don't mind me asking?
                            Other than quenching well with brine.

The advantage of 1075 is that it is the eutectic carbon steel. The temperature curves are the best for HT. It will produce a fine blade. A lot katana and wakazashi swords are made from it.
                            The "issue" with 1095, is you have a VERY short time to get it from the heat to quenchant AND successfully get it hardened. With a eutectoid steel like 1075, you have a much longer time-frame (it's a matter of seconds) but it makes a big difference.
                            I put my knives through some stringent tests and I haven’t seen a significant difference between 1095 and 1075. 1075 has enough manganese to give you a sufficient hamon. I also like it for choppers much like I would use 5160.
                            I quench primarily with brine, however 1075 does good with canola oil as well.

Sorry for the long answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                              The advantage of 1075 is that it is the eutectic carbon steel. The temperature curves are the best for HT. It will produce a fine blade. A lot katana and wakazashi swords are made from it.
                              The "issue" with 1095, is you have a VERY short time to get it from the heat to quenchant AND successfully get it hardened. With a eutectoid steel like 1075, you have a much longer time-frame (it's a matter of seconds) but it makes a big difference.
                              I put my knives through some stringent tests and I haven’t seen a significant difference between 1095 and 1075. 1075 has enough manganese to give you a sufficient hamon. I also like it for choppers much like I would use 5160.
                              I quench primarily with brine, however 1075 does good with canola oil as well.

Sorry for the long answer.
                              Thanks. Sounds like a very forgiving steel. I think I will buy some to try once I get low on 80CrV2 and 52100. As for 1095, I haven't had any problems heat treating it once I got the fast quench process figured out. I use brine if I want a hamon and Parks 50 for other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X