Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With the Dallas Safari Convention in town..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the Dallas Safari Convention in town..

I am wondering what would the best Avenue to finding an outdoor industry job? Is their a network to listings of jobs that are in need of sales reps, vendor booth workers at conventions or even guides?
    My cousin and I are both considering making a change and have often talked about this line of work. Both of us are experienced outdoorsmen and have degrees in multiple fields. If anyone has any suggestions, general advice or connections shoot me a P.M. Thank you for your time, Casey

No silver bullets from what I have observed. As an example this year in RENO for the SCI Show I am (my SCI Chapter and my wife) supporting students from Auburn University that are Wildlife/Forestry majors. SCI has an area for the 1st time in 49 years to highlight students for opportunities in the industry........interns/co-ops/full time! University of Neveda at Reno will also have a booth space next to Auburn. It is surely a need that is finally being addressed on the collegiate level. I suspect at least 5-10 schools jumping on board over the next 2 years with SCI.

Comment

That's interesting Landrover. I would imagine their is a need for many jobs in the outdoor industry and really it is a select field of individuals that fit the notch or experience level to fill the void.

Comment

Shot Show in Las Vegas the week after next is where all of the major hunting/shooting companies will be exhibiting. It has gotten pretty difficult to secure credentials to attend. Knowing someone or many folks in the industry is perhaps the best way to get a foot in the door. As you know, it's not what you know, it is who you know. While I don't know who they are, I am sure that there are several folks working with rep groups in the outdoor industry on the GS.
        Good luck and Adios,
        Gary

Comment

If you like to hunt and fish don’t get in to the outdoor industry. Your busy time of year is when you’re going to want to be outdoors. Most of it is your network and background

Comment

I understand it ties up a lot of hunting time. But currently I spend most days dreaming of being out West, living and hunting in East Texas does not thrill me anymore. Perhaps someday I will liquidate everything here and make the move.

Comment

If you don't have attachments, sell it all, pay off your debts load the truck and head west. Find a job that gives you time off and keep expenses and commitments low. If you don't do it now you'll look up one day and discover your too committed or old.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT_TRAIL View Post
                I understand it ties up a lot of hunting time. But currently I spend most days dreaming of being out West, living and hunting in East Texas does not thrill me anymore. Perhaps someday I will liquidate everything here and make the move.
                Find companies you want to work for that you can bring value to. Visit then, talk to them, apply. Sell all your stuff and move out there

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                  If you don't have attachments, sell it all, pay off your debts load the truck and head west. Find a job that gives you time off and keep expenses and commitments low. If you don't do it now you'll look up one day and discover your too committed or old.
                  Believe me if I was not so tired in with my parents and family affairs it would happen on the quick.

Comment

Working...
                  X