277 Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

277 Fury

Looks interesting. 3 piece case with a steel case head and brass case body. It looks like a reloadable case capable of being loaded to higher pressures.

SIG SAUER made two big announcements today. First is their designed and manufactured in the USA bolt action rifle, the CROSS. Offered in .308, 6.5 Creedmoor ...

Hmm... Lots and lots of questions... Biggest issues I see

Case head seperatiseperation at "clip"
    Barrel life...
    Twist rate issues pushing a bullet super hard
    Bonded bullets exploding due to twist rate

Hope @stick1 sees this... Curious his thoughts

Comment

Tag

Comment

Same ballistics as a 270 WSM, but in a longer complicated case.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          Same ballistics as a 270 WSM, but in a longer complicated case.
          And a 16” barrel! Sign me up

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Maybe I can get Clayton to build me one on that M70 action

Wonder what keeps the steel attached to the brass?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              16” barrel doing 3000fps....me too.

Comment

It's only doing 3000fps with a 140gr bullet-- which is basically a now light for caliber option for the .277

Seems like you would do better pushing that weight bullet from a shorty 6.5 SAUM or PRC if you were really length oriented.

I'm glad to see they went with a faster twist .277 barrel (1-8.5) so lets see the data on a 165/170 bullet!

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                  It's only doing 3000fps with a 140gr bullet-- which is basically a now light for caliber option for the .277

Seems like you would do better pushing that weight bullet from a shorty 6.5 SAUM or PRC if you were really length oriented.

I'm glad to see they went with a faster twist .277 barrel (1-8.5) so lets see the data on a 165/170 bullet!
                  that only 3000fps is in a 16 inch barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    Maybe I can get Clayton to build me one on that M70 action

Wonder what keeps the steel attached to the brass?
                    Super glue.....

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      Super glue.....

This is my worry... Want to see data on a 168 with a 20 inch barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                        that only 3000fps is in a 16 inch barrel.

I'm tracking that--- and it isn't anything that couldn't be achieved from a cartridge that already exists- like running up a 140gr in a short magnum 7mm like a WSM/SAUM/SS with the same or close to it in barrel length.

And if you crunch the numbers if you could get even 2700fps from the 6.5mm 140-- which should be possible at 16" with a PRC or SAUM you still match the velocity and energy of the .277 @ 1000 yards but with less wind drift.

Comment

I'm tracking that--- and it isn't anything that couldn't be achieved from a cartridge that already exists- like running up a 140gr in a short magnum 7mm like a WSM/SAUM/SS with the same or close to it in barrel length.

And if you crunch the numbers if you could get even 2700fps from the 6.5mm 140-- which should be possible at 16" with a PRC or SAUM you still match the velocity and energy of the .277 @ 1000 yards but with less wind drift.
                          I’m only going to say that it is unlikely to get 3000 from the 16” barrel in the cartridge you mention. I’d really like to see things materialize and perhaps we’d get that .277 bullet selection I’ve always wanted.

Comment

I wish everyone would just start looking at the ballistics of the 270 wsm an forget all the rest of these fad cartridges so my bullet prices would go down lol

Comment

Haven’t seen any of those hit that speed in a 16” barrel. And if the magnums did it kinda defeats the purpose. Much more powder I’d assume.

PRC won’t touch those speeds at 16”.

I’m honestly not seeing how they are accomplishing the speeds with that combo. Don’t recall anyone doing it yet. Short action shooting 140s. In a 16” barrel. Ain’t seen anything even close!

Comment

Working...
                              X