Build Me A Long Range Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build Me A Long Range Gun

As the title suggests, if you could build a rifle and optics to handle shots anywhere from 500-1000 yards, what would you build and why? I'm wanting a gun that will handle those ranges and still maintain some accuracy. Not too picky on the caliber, so that's not an issue.

So, let the suggestions roll!

I would call Cajun Blake.

Prolly a 280 Ackley Improved or a 6.5X284 Norma built on a Stiller Predator Action. Thats what im lookin at anyway.

Comment

Mine is a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe 300 Win Mag with a Nicon 6-18x40 (I think). It's a tack driver. Not the lightest rig in town but it is sweet!

Comment

I shoot a custom 7MM STW with a Quigley Ford scope so far my longest shot on paper is 1125 yrds I am using berger 168 gr vld's very accurate rifle with .5 groups at 300 yrds

Comment

And deff with Berger Bullets as just mentioned.

Comment

.416......... Nuff said!

Comment

Your going to get about a hundred different ideas but my go to long range gun is my 338 Lapua.

Comment

what is your budget ?

you can build from $1000 ~ $6000 depending on lots of variables

Comment

And this custom Leupold.

Comment

Sig .300 win mag, Seekins 20 minute base, Seekins 4/6 rings and the SWFA SS 5-20x50 non-illuminated.

.300 has one of the best BCE available, ammo is not ridiculous. And the 5-20 is super easy to track out to 1K.

You don't have to think about it, just pull the trigger.

Comment

shooting paper? I'd go with something like a .308 or even a .260.

ammo is cheap, and you can learn to shoot, instead of learning to manage recoil... you don't need a super duper magnum to shoot all day at 500-800 yards.

Comment

[quote=Cajun Blake;4800501]what is your budget ?

you can build from $1000 ~ $6000 depending on lots of variables

CB -

Probably trying to stay down around $2500 if possible. I don't want something that is a pain to shoot, so I was initially thinking something around the .308 caliber, but maybe lower so I can still thunk song dogs with it.
                        Last edited by MountainMan; 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Stiller tac 300, McMillan, timney, krieger, and a Swarovski z5, in 300rum

That's what I've been dreaming in my head lately anyway .

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                            shooting paper? I'd go with something like a .308 or even a .260.

ammo is cheap, and you can learn to shoot, instead of learning to manage recoil... you don't need a super duper magnum to shoot all day at 500-800 yards.
                            Probably mostly paper, but would also like to be able to whack some sod poodles or song dogs that far out. I like the .308, but was also thinking maybe something lighter for the varmits.

Comment

Working...
                            X