No announcement yet.

Build Me A Long Range Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about putting a Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor Bull Barrel on a Savage 12 action. I love the 6.5 caliber and you can shoot the Creedmoor all day long without wearing out your shoulder. I'm guessing 140 grain reloads will reach out to 1200 yards at <1moa. My Savage 10 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots .35moa at 100 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      any top notch barrel will work : Bartlein, Rock , Lilja, Hart , PacNor, Brux, Border, Krieger , etc...
      I find it extremely interesting that many of you are very particular about the action and stock etc but not very picky about the barrel manufacture. I would have guessed that the barrel would be a much more important part of the equation than that?

With that said, does anyone know much about Schneider Rifle Barrels out of AZ? One of the Smiths I'm talking to is really high on these barrels and their polyagon rifling.

Comment

Shillen or krieger maybe a hart my opinion

Comment

I have a shilen barrel on my 1000 yarder

Comment

Start with a shilen barrel and a remington action.

Comment

Those are some sweet rigs Q

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                I find it extremely interesting that many of you are very particular about the action and stock etc but not very picky about the barrel manufacture. I would have guessed that the barrel would be a much more important part of the equation than that?

With that said, does anyone know much about Schneider Rifle Barrels out of AZ? One of the Smiths I'm talking to is really high on these barrels and their polyagon rifling.

B

it's all a matter of personal choice ... Ford , Chevy , Toyota , Dodge , etc......

for the average guy building a hunting rifle that he wants to shoot at 600, 800 , 1000 yds... any of the aforementioned brands will work, and likely shoot better than the shooter.

Schneider makes a great barrel that shoots straight, nothing wrong at all with them. When it comes to shooting long range, you don't see many Schneider barrels on 1000 yard guns as Broughton and Krieger dominate the equipment list.

The most popular calibers that finish at the top are : 6 Dasher, 6x47 Lapua , and 300 WSM

what many people don't realize is you do NOT need a 300 Ultra Super Whopper to shoot at 1000 yds. The 6mm's and 6.5's are arguably more accurate than the .30's

the best shooters are all wearing NightForce and Leupold optics

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

I am. Bartlien or rock creek here.

The truth is now days there are a lot of good barrels. Kreiger, Brux, obermyer, hart, lilja will all do the job.

My 2 favs are the ones I listed above.

Barrels are the most important aspect followed by the smith. Then the stock then the action. My opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
                    Probably mostly paper, but would also like to be able to whack some sod poodles or song dogs that far out. I like the .308, but was also thinking maybe something lighter for the varmits.
                    Take a serious look at the 6.5 x 47 lapua. You get the benefit of the BC of the 264 bullet along with a little more oompf than the 260. Its sexy!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                      Take a serious look at the 6.5 x 47 lapua. You get the benefit of the BC of the 264 bullet along with a little more oompf than the 260. Its sexy!
                      You sure about that Tommy?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        You sure about that Tommy?
                        Got them backwards. 260 hits a little harder, but the 6.5x47 does it just as well at long range for paper or plates.

Comment

You ever decide on anything? Man you guys have almost talked me into one of these 6.5s

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                              this is more of a hunting rifle due to the barrel contour and stock profile. It can be built for @ $2000

Stiller custom action - $1000
                              custom barrel - $350
                              Thread , chamber, crown - $200
                              used HS stock - $200
                              skim bed stock - $100
                              paint job - $100
                              factory bottom metal - $50
                              tune factory trigger - $50 (Jewell trigger - $200)

I'd consider the 6.5x47 Lapua

I have one, it is an awesome rifle, I think I got close to 6K including optics.

Comment

Working...
                              X