Guess I'm Getting Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whakm View Post
    When I talk to people these days that pull 70+ pounds I always have to ask why. If it's comfortable for ya and you like it then knock your lights out. As for me, I only need to shoot thru 'em once.
    If you have a short draw or shoot longer ranges it comes into play.

I shoot 70# but I have a 26.5” draw so I need the extra poundage. Lots of guys shooting 60# that have the same arrow speed as me.

I lift weights and honestly 70 lbs isn’t a hard weight to draw even when sitting down. Just gotta keep yourself conditioned. If you don’t do any kind of resistance training and you pick up your bow then at some point it’s gonna be tough. My mindset is I keep myself conditioned I shouldn’t have any issues barring injury

Comment

I shoot 58#. If you cannot hold bow straight out then draw slow and smooth without and jerking you are too heavy.

Comment

26 here and I havent shot a bow at 70lbs in probably 6 years. There is absolutely no point for me and I have zero issues. Typically shoot around 62ish.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
          Truer words have never been spoken.

I have a Bowtech Tribute with 80lb limbs as my back up bow. I bought it 13 years ago for caribou hunting in Alaska thinking I could shoot farther on the open tundra. The only thing it did was make it harder to draw because I wasn't any more accurate past 50 yards. And now I'm not sure I can even draw that thing now.
          I pulled my tribute out the other night. Its 80 lbs.. to me it was easier to draw than my vertix on 70 lbs.. I think cam design has a lot to do with it. I shoot my vertix at 75 but I put 60 lb mods on it to see if I liked it better.. I couldn't tell that much difference. It still stacked then dropped into the valley.. a bow that draws the same all the way through Is what I like..

Comment

Originally posted by charrell71 View Post
            Was shooting today at my local pro shop(C&S Archery) and my shoulder started killing me. I guess 70 lbs is too much for me anymore.[emoji16] Backed my Elite Synergy down to 60 lbs, and what a difference it made. Way easier to draw back and my grouping actually got a little better. Guess I need to stroke my bruised ego and accept the fact that I'm not 25 anymore.[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
            I dropped down to 50# several years back, best thing I ever done.

Comment

I was shooting 72 lbs with a 30 inch draw ROM 360 a couple of years ago. Man that thing was brutal. No problem drawing it smoothly but boy was it jumpy.

My Reign 6 is at 64 I believe. Waaaaaaay better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been shooting 64lbs on 60lb limbs before I turned 30. I'm 40 now.

I really think it's the sweet spot for my rig and me.

It kills the deer really dead too.

Comment

Guess I'm Getting Old

I have had a complete passthru on every critter I have shot with my Elite Pure set at 55#. I can’t imagine why I would need any more than that???

On one deer this year, I held at full draw for 2-3 minutes. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t feeling it right towards the end, but the shot was perfect, and he didn’t make it but about 50yds! There is no way I could have done that with 10 more # of draw weight!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Bisch; 02-22-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

There's no worries shooting low weight compounds. I shoot traditional equip. In my 30's I shot 80#. The 40's it was 70#. Now mid 50's I won't shoot anything over 50#. Lots of critters killed every year with 45-50# stick bows.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Gettin' old is better than the alternative, i guess!

Comment

Not easy to accept, but happens to all of us.

Comment

57# @ 29.5 DL

Never shot anything heavier since I started shooting a bow at 25 years old. May not have the fastest arrow but dang if my bow isn’t quiet and I can draw it smooth as butter.

Comment

Working...
                          X