Brisket on a sawdust burner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on a sawdust burner?

Cooked all kinds of crap on my GMG so far, but haven’t done a brisket yet. Any tips/tricks for a brisket on a pellet grill? I’m assuming just your typical rub the night before, 225 until it hits about 165, wrap until 200, unwrap until 203-205?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purina Rabbit Chow supposedly produces the best bark, smoke ring and flavor.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Good one
      Even for a T Sip

Comment

I’ve done quite a few on my GMG. Set the grill on 225, cook until it hits 165, wrap it, and once it hits 200 probe it for tenderness every couple of degrees til it’s done. Once it’s wrapped I sometimes turn the heat up a little bit if I am trying to make up some time.

Comment

You pretty much wrote the cook book right there, quackadict

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            You pretty much wrote the cook book right there, quackadict

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
            I’ve done quite a few on my GMG. Set the grill on 225, cook until it hits 165, wrap it, and once it hits 200 probe it for tenderness every couple of degrees til it’s done. Once it’s wrapped I sometimes turn the heat up a little bit if I am trying to make up some time.

Any different time? Still figure somewhere between 8-12 hours?

Comment

Ahhh.....there he is....the almighty TBH BBQ aficionado...lol
              However.....I’m with BoB on this one!

Comment

Little too grass-like of a finish for me. Reminds me of alfalfa with a hint of coastal Bermuda.

Comment

I’ve cooked 2 on my Pitts & Spitts. First one I didn’t cook long enough.

2nd one I wrapped in butcher paper instead of foil. Bark was better on it. Pulled at 205 and let rest for 30 minutes or so. Turned out much better than the first one.

15# brisket, 10’ish hours @ 225.

Choose your pellets wisely. I’ve had the best cooks using Lumberjack pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I actually think you use this exact same line for every pellet grill thread. Now why you bother posting on the pellet grill threads I’ll never know because you clearly don’t like them.

OP you hit the nail on the head. I just use course ground pepper and kosher salt on my briskets and I don’t always wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                      I actually think you use this exact same line for every pellet grill thread. Now why you bother posting on the pellet grill threads I’ll never know because you clearly don’t like them.

OP you hit the nail on the head. I just use course ground pepper and kosher salt on my briskets and I don’t always wrap.

Comment

Inject with the spiciest jalapeño juice you can find, until juice pours out when you just touch it. Season with salt and pepper only. Smoke at 225 until internal temp reaches 195. If you want something similar to a crock pot roast, feel free to wrap (aka using the Texas crutch)

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                          Inject with the spiciest jalapeño juice you can find, until juice pours out when you just touch it. Season with salt and pepper only. Smoke at 225 until internal temp reaches 195. If you want something similar to a crock pot roast, feel free to wrap (aka using the Texas crutch)

Come on now! That's horsehockey broadbrush painting right there. If you wrap in foil or butcher paper after smoking two hours then sure....but if you wrap at the right time there is no roast to it and a lot of time saved pushing through the stall. 2-3 hours wrapped isn't going to roast up 7-8 hours of smoke.

Wrapping right at the stall (160-165) after a good bark is set is perfect. IMO...the OP has it right. I start probing at 199-200 for sliced and if needed carry it a little longer till probe tenderness. 205 is usually my mark for chopped.

Inject? a brisket? What?...

*disclaimer....every brisket is different so BILYJOJIMBOB might have had a brisket finish at a different temp but this is merely a guideline.....probe tender is the finish end game....and Smart cooks on a stickburner..

Comment

I just did a brisket(first one ever) in.my Rec TEC and it turned out great. 13# @225 for 12 hours then pulled and wrapped and put it an ice chest for 2 hours. It was great! Used salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Comment

These old die hard stick burner guys will be buying pellet grills when they get older. it's just a matter of time. LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X