Improved Gulf Oysters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improved Gulf Oysters

The raw oysters thread the other day had me hungry. Went to a place that had a good variety to try. Tried the Point aux Pins oysters and they were out of this world. Figured they were cold water NE shellfish. Nope. Alabama. Below is a write up. Looking forward to a lot more of this taking place in the Gulf of Mexico bays.

Long Island Sound, maybe? Cape Cod Bay? Duxbury Harbor? Would you believe Alabama? They’ve got the look of a classic Northeast oyster, but they are Gulf oysters through and through. (Native to Cedar Point, in fact, before the Auburn Shellfish Laboratory gets a hold of them.) The difference is, they are farmed, and, apparently, that is enough to turn a Gulf oyster into a Northeast oyster. Instead of the superthick shell, these get a nice cup and an urbane black-and-white polish to the shell. This happens because these oysters are raised in cylindrical mesh containers that roll with the tides and tumble the oysters, ensuring that deep cup. The plump meats and healthy ivory color come from the algae-rich waters of Grand Bay, Alabama, where they are grown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks very good!

Comment

How much did they cost Jeff?

Comment

Hopefully we can work on grass restoration in Texas bays and get to work here. They are just filter feeders so think for the most part its a net gain for the environment to raise them.

Comment

They GMO oysters & GOM oysters , it’s a brave new world
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-09-2022, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            How much did they cost Jeff?

Lol. You don’t want to know.

It was a swanky joint but they had standard gulf oysters too so can give a reference. Its 36 a dozen with all the fancy fixins for the premiums and 30 for standard gulf. So not that much more than a standard. 20 percent more. Im gonna try to find a market that sells by the bag. Id eat my weight in those things.

Comment

So out with it! Where did you find these life altering mollusks?

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                They GMO oysters & GOM oysters

I think the only modification is how they grow em. Could be wrong. Maybe they crossbred em haha. They would stand side by side with most cold water oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                  So out with it! Where did you find these life altering mollusks?

Goode Co Fish Camp on Research in The Woodlands. My last weekday lunch before Im back to leftovers heated up and 20 min lunch breaks. Figured Id treat myself

Comment

Where? I'm hungry!

Comment

They look larruping !

Comment

Man, I love me some oysters.

Comment

They are native Alabama oysters farmed off bottom. Google murder point oysters. They have some cool videos about off bottom oyster mariculture.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                            Goode Co Fish Camp on Research in The Woodlands. My last weekday lunch before Im back to leftovers heated up and 20 min lunch breaks. Figured Id treat myself

Hmmm, the Mrs and I may have found a lunch spot for tomorrow

Comment

I’m in for a peck

Comment

Working...
                              X