Auto wiring repair shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto wiring repair shop

My boys truck has a bad wire on the engine bay wiring harness. The dealership wants to replace the entire harness because they say they don't fix individual wires. They won't tell me which wire. I was wondering if anyone knows of a private shop that can troubleshoot and repair the harness. It is a ford if that matters.

Whether or not the entire harness needs to be replaced can also depend on the age of the vehicle. I worked on a 15 year old Mustang one time when the insulation to all the wires in the wire harness were pretty much melted together due to age and under hood heat. In that case, it was impossible to fix the one broken wire without causing more problems.

Either way, getting a second opinion would be a good thing.

Comment

If they wouldn't show me or at least tell me what wire was bad I sure wouldn't trust them to repair it by replacing the harness. The real issue is they make X$ to repair a single wire and make ***X$ to replace a harness.
      Why is it in the shop? FYI rats, mice and squirrels are known to chew through wires.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would insist they told you which wire, and to show you the break.

My MIL's truck had a bad battery post and the stealership told her the entire negative wiring harness needed to be replace to the tune of $600. I told them to cut the terminal off and put a clamp on terminal and the said they wouldn't do that. I told her to drive it hole and I'd fix it later. they said the truck would run until the wire was fixed properly. I had to go up there and put the dang thing on myself in their shop so I could get the truck out of there. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          My boys truck has a bad wire on the engine bay wiring harness. The dealership wants to replace the entire harness because they say they don't fix individual wires. They won't tell me which wire. I was wondering if anyone knows of a private shop that can troubleshoot and repair the harness. It is a ford if that matters.
          Is it a 5.4?

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
            Is it a 5.4?
            No. 6.0 diesel.

I don't think they know which wire it is.

Comment

I’m currently chasing the same issue on my dads 01 Dodge Ram. It sat too long and a rat/squirrel took out spark plug wires, sensor wires and one injector wire. I replaced the plug wires and spliced the others but still couldn’t get it to fire. Found out it has no fuel coming to engine now…. We did spray some gas into the intake and got it to run briefly. We are pulling the tank this weekend to check the fuel pump. My bet is the wiring on top of the tank is chewed as well…. I hate wiring issues and you end up spending hours trying to isolate the issue. Often, it’s easier to swap the whole harness than trying to track a bad wire/connection

Comment

No. 6.0 diesel.

I don't think they know which wire it is.
                And I think, your right..!!!

Comment

If you are able to pull codes, this helps. I had a squirrel chew thru some wires and was able to find them via the code info. The connecters would have been about $180 to replace, but some time and some crimpers as well as a volt meter worked for me. zero cost.

Comment

I am looking for help...

Premier in Ft Worth advertises electrical repairs...

2841A White Settlement Road
                    Fort Worth, TX 76107
                    817-336-5700
                    Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 07-28-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

There are no codes.

Comment

So here's my thought.

I'm NOT an auto electrician.

Here's a couple of potential options.

1)
                        Shop hourly rate x ? Number hours to find broken wire, than X hours to fix. (Will the fix last and for how long) + Parts = $ Bill

Will they need to remove harness to repair? How will they repair? Butt Connector, Solder, Butt Connector and heat shrink, Solder and Heat Shrink, Lineman Splice, Lineman Splice & Solder....

Or

2)
                        Shop Hourly rate x book hours to replace harness + parts = $ Bill

Both lead to getting fixed. Which is cheaper?

When I'm working in trailers that have light issues the very first thing I look for is previous repairs. 90% of the time I'll find the issue there. We have a policy at work when working on ABS. If you replace the sensor replace the Extension. Why? Extra Insurance. Yes it adds to the bill. However after 30 years in business the boss has had multiple instances of the job coming back shortly after because the extension fails next. Now the customer has a bad experience with our work.

I'm not saying they're ripping you off, i am saying they might be giving you great advice.

Comment

Usually Ford dealers won't repair wiring, if a wiring harness is available. If a harness is not available or the harness requires taking too much apart to replace it, they might repair it.

What problem is it having?

Comment

Mice got into a friend's four-wheeler and ate up the wires. He hauled it to the dealer. They looked it over and said $600 for the wiring harness plus about the same for labor. I bought an OEM harness for about $230 and put it on in four or five hours. I had to splice probably a dozen wires coming out of switches and controls that if changed out would have cost him another $400-$500. Wiring harnesses look intimidating but are not all that hard to do. Everything is color coded and plugs will only fit a mating plug. The single push connectors are just a matter of matching wire color code.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              Usually Ford dealers won't repair wiring, if a wiring harness is available. If a harness is not available or the harness requires taking too much apart to replace it, they might repair it.

What problem is it having?

The truck died after driving 300 yards. It won't start. I didn't expect them to say it was the wiring harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X