Oh Canada 2022 with a little West Texas mixed in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Canada 2022 with a little West Texas mixed in

Having lived and hunted as resident 6 years across two assignments and 2 years under the hunter host program (non Canadian can be hunter hosted every 3 years and hunt as resident (no draws), I am returning this fall.

September 16-25 - Chase elk with archery equipment in the southern Porcupine Hills. These are my old stomping grounds where I took 2 elk and 2 good mule deer (3 archery, 1 rifle) with my bow

October 13-17 - Bucket list trip and first outfitter hunt. My Canadian buddy Alexander contacted me that all his international hunts overseas (he is huge gamesmen who chases animals across the globe, writing for Sheep magazines , etc.. have all cratered on him for an assortment of reasons. He and his buddy Carl have decided to chase a backup Aoudad in West Texas with an outfitter they had been put in contact with. He called to see if he could borrow one of the two guns he had rigged me out with (270 or 300WM). I said sure, 1) as long as he would return favor for me in November (more to come) 2) consider adding a 3rd, as it's always been a bucket list animal for me to have mounted.

November (dates TBD) - I return to Canada, this time chasing Northern Alberta Whitetails in Athabasca. This is area, we hunted for a number of years. A number of freezes, combined with increasing whitetails sightings south, my group quit the area. Kevin returned last year and said the hunting has really improved an he would return again this fall. Here I shot my 7X6 160 buck that easily tipped the scales over 300lbs.

I am super pumped actually returning to hunting (I am normally guide for Kendra in Texas) myself, reconnecting for hunts with old friends and putting some miles on my boots again. Hardcore training has resumed!!

Hunts from the past. 2010 - 2018 Recap with links here

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Dang it!! That's a cool schedule for the fall! Can't wait to live vicariously through your posts (you WILL post lots of stories and pics, right?)!

Comment

Sweet Jesus man. Dream lineup. Do tell about the Aoudad!

Comment

Dirt work weekend at barndo as cutting boat barn and carport pads to have limestone dumped. Between that and heat, me and the bride started sling arrows. I love the adjustable site pin (black gold) that allows me to use top pin. Never realized how much better shot I was when not getting lost in pins. Killing patterns sold to 50 and pretty strong out to 70. Kendra getting strong out to 40 now.

While we were out , Kevin was fighting skeeters and horse flies scouting elk in southern Alberta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Proud member since 1999

Comment

Which West Texas are you hunting in? Both areas that call themselves West Texas have aoudads.

Comment

When I grow up, I want to be Gary.

Comment

Well done, amigo. Looking forward to the recaps!

Comment

Living the Dream Buddy. Safe Travels and Enjoy Every Step of It

Comment

Can't wait to follow along! What an exciting fall.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                    Which West Texas are you hunting in? Both areas that call themselves West Texas have aoudads.
                    Fort Davis area.
                    Proud member since 1999

Comment

Sounds like great fun…keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking forward to the updates, G!

Comment

Do non residents have to download the Canadian app so they can tell where you are at all times? My resident buds in Canada had to during covid so just wondering if non res also required. Not trying to be a smart a** but I am also wanting to go back after a 6 year absence and downloading a Canadian app does not appeal to me.

Comment

Ya gonna do a live hunt? Take us along, boss!

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                              Fort Davis area.
                              I hear there are big ones there. I was hoping you were coming to the panhandle I was going to offer to buy you a burger and a beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X