Colorado Turkey Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Turkey Hunting

Don’t have any turkeys on the place I deer hunt at, and wasn’t drawn for any of the Texas locations, so I put in for Colorado. I was drawn for unit 140, specifically the James M. John SWA. I am pumped!

Anyone have any experience hunting Merriams in Colorado? Any tips? Do decoys work just as good on Merriams as they do on Rios? This will be my first time hunting out of state (excluding Africa while studying abroad).

Thank you in advance.

Google search shows you'll be walking a bit.

Comment

Per bowsite its an 8mile hike in .... crazy

Another thing most hunters don't realize is that the James John SWA is 4 miles from the nearest trailhead (yes, you have to walk or horseback to it) and THEN the turkey hunting is approx. 4 more miles from there in San Miguel draw. Seriously. Eight miles. ...and don't think about stopping short and hunting at the upper end of Lake Dorothy SWA, or you'll get nailed for hunting in the wrong unit!

Even with that distance, there will definitely be hunters in there, and the birds (if they're in the canyon and not down on the private property) can be pretty tricky. Last time I was there (06 I believe) there were only 2 birds and they were right down on the property line waaaaaaay down in!

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
        Per bowsite its an 8mile hike in .... crazy

Another thing most hunters don't realize is that the James John SWA is 4 miles from the nearest trailhead (yes, you have to walk or horseback to it) and THEN the turkey hunting is approx. 4 more miles from there in San Miguel draw. Seriously. Eight miles. ...and don't think about stopping short and hunting at the upper end of Lake Dorothy SWA, or you'll get nailed for hunting in the wrong unit!

Even with that distance, there will definitely be hunters in there, and the birds (if they're in the canyon and not down on the private property) can be pretty tricky. Last time I was there (06 I believe) there were only 2 birds and they were right down on the property line waaaaaaay down in!
        Thank you for your insight! Sounds like it’s time for me to break out the hiking boots and make sure they are fully broken in. With a hunt like that I’ll probably just pack in supplies for several days and stay out there to avoid several back and forth trips. I really appreciate the insight on amount of birds! Sounds like a challenging hunt

Comment

Make sure camping is legal where you set up.

Comment

Decoys will work; just pack in one for the hike. I call Merriam's mountain birds(as they tend to be up high early in day). Don't expect them to call often as Rios; sometimes they get quite after 10am. I used a peacock call or hawk call to locate them. They didn't even take notice to owl or crow calling, but let loose to peacock

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by greyghost7 View Post
              Decoys will work; just pack in one for the hike. I call Merriam's mountain birds(as they tend to be up high early in day). Don't expect them to call often as Rios; sometimes they get quite after 10am. I used a peacock call or hawk call to locate them. They didn't even take notice to owl or crow calling, but let loose to peacock

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
              This is very helpful information, thanks man! I head out there next week and am getting super excited. I'll get there a few days before season opens to scout, and have a few days to hunt. Hopefully will be able to report back with reports of success. Either way it'll be good to get out, killed bird or not!

Comment

Good luck be safe and blessed I really hope to get to see you the picture of your Colorado bird

Comment

You must really hate them turkeys to do all this. Lol. Good luck to you.

Comment

So since you've already purchased a turkey license, you can put in for the draws for almost no additional cost. I assume you've put in for a big game hunt in the fall?

Comment

Well I made it back from the turkey hunt. Unfortunately I was not able to connect on a turkey while up there, but I learned a ton and my first backcountry hunting experience was incredible and one I won’t forget. My wife went with me and we camped in three different places while in search of the turkeys (“wilderness” camping is allowed in this SWA for those actively hunting/fishing). I heard one gobbler but wasn’t able to connect on him in the time we had out there before having to head back home for work. We saw tons of elk, with 3 bulls still packing their headgear, coyotes, mule deer, and a decent amount of bear sign.

I will say, going from sea level in Texas, to an 8 mile hike at 8000-9000 elevation was a pretty challenging pack in. If anyone decides to apply for that unit, be prepared for quite the workout… but the views are 100% worth it. I got skunked with the turkeys, but hit some other public land before going home and found some elk sheds, so that (along with the experience in general) made up for not coming home with a bird. Some pictures for those who are interested-
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                        So since you've already purchased a turkey license, you can put in for the draws for almost no additional cost. I assume you've put in for a big game hunt in the fall?
                        Thank you for this info! Before I left I saw this message and put in for the elk draw for just $10. Still learning all the different states draw laws so information like this was much appreciated!

Comment

Sorry you missed out on the turkey, but you and your wife sure got to hunt in some amazing country. Thanks for posting these pics.

Comment

Originally posted by ShedHunter19 View Post
                            Thank you for this info! Before I left I saw this message and put in for the elk draw for just $10. Still learning all the different states draw laws so information like this was much appreciated!
                            You're welcome. I am debating whether to go in 2023 or 2024 for elk. I am planning on hunting a unit that only requires 3 points to draw. Nice pics.
                            Last edited by donpablo; 04-14-2022, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                              You're welcome. I am debating whether to go in 2023 or 2024 for elk. I am planning on hunting a unit that only requires 3 points to draw. Nice pics.
                              That would be awesome! Elk are on my bucket list for sure. Hope to see pics of you with your elk in a few years

Comment

Working...
                              X