Village Creek SP Archery deer. What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Village Creek SP Archery deer. What?

They think it is an awesome idea to have the archery hunt the day after the youth gun hunters have been shooting at the deer. SMH And to add to that the archery hunters are only allowed antlerless while the youth can take either sex. I guess they are afraid the ARCHERY hunters will take too many bucks?

Youth only Gun Deer either sex. Dec 3-4
    Archery Deer, Anterless only. Dec 5-7

At least they are having a hunt. They tried about twenty years ago and took it off the list after finding out much of the park is in the city limits. The newer section to the south is not in the city limits. Give it a year or two and they may change the dates and sex. Baiting is encouraged. That area is over run with deer and probably hogs.

Comment

It's not uncommon for them to have youth hunts before the adult hunts.

The bag limit for the Village Creek archery hunt is 2 antlerless deer.

Comment

Maybe, just possibly, this is geared towards getting more kids out and hunting vs. getting adults out to fill their tags.

Just a thought.

Comment

I noticed the Antlerless only as well. I feel like that is misleading due to it being in the Archery Category. There is another in the same category that is the same way. Why not just make those a seperate category? Archery- A/S only? That's how it is on the general hunts. I'd be mad if I put in for that but didn't notice.

Good thing I read through each one carefully before I apply. I'm willing to bet someone is going to draw that and be ticked come time for the actual hunt. Oh well! Live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
            I noticed the Antlerless only as well. I feel like that is misleading due to it being in the Archery Category. There is another in the same category that is the same way. Why not just make those a seperate category? Archery- A/S only? That's how it is on the general hunts. I'd be mad if I put in for that but didn't notice.

Good thing I read through each one carefully before I apply. I'm willing to bet someone is going to draw that and be ticked come time for the actual hunt. Oh well! Live and learn.
            If they don’t read the bag and rules they should only be mad at themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerBTX View Post
              At least they are having a hunt. They tried about twenty years ago and took it off the list after finding out much of the park is in the city limits. The newer section to the south is not in the city limits. Give it a year or two and they may change the dates and sex. Baiting is encouraged. That area is over run with deer and probably hogs.
              Its a cry'in shame how many places "used to" or could have a hunt with a huntable deer population but won't. Its even more alarming some of the state parks I've drawn how openly anti some of the park staff are.

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
              It's not uncommon for them to have youth hunts before the adult hunts.

The bag limit for the Village Creek archery hunt is 2 antlerless deer.
              yes very common.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                If they don’t read the bag and rules they should only be mad at themselves.
                I do concur. That's why I didn't put in for those hunt's.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted some population control “doe only” hunts years ago in the Midwest. There were some huge bucks in this area but you could not shoot them. It was inside city limits control hunting archery only. After a couple years.. they allowed you a buck after you tagged a doe. It was better when that started for hunting but harder to get the draw.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Its a cry'in shame how many places "used to" or could have a hunt with a huntable deer population but won't. Its even more alarming some of the state parks I've drawn how openly anti some of the park staff are.
                    A truer statement...

Maybe the new director for TPWD will fix some of these problems. Honestly, I think the reason so few of the parks are receptive to the idea is that the $ for the draws doesn't go directly to the park. I think if they changed that, a lot more parks would be interested in hosting hunts. And then maybe we could get back some of the many archery hunts that have disappeared over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      Maybe, just possibly, this is geared towards getting more kids out and hunting vs. getting adults out to fill their tags.

Just a thought.
                      Yep.

Comment

Good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X