Anyone fly R/C planes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone fly R/C planes?

Dad and I put a few together back when I was in Jr High and High school but crashed after seconds of flying everytime. My wife and son got me one for fathers day this year and wow the technology has come a long way. I can fly decent now without crashing.... tricks....yep. I cant seem to get enough right now

Yay hunting season soon!!!

I don't but man I stumbled across some Youtube videos of RC planes in Saudi Arabia- Holy Sh&T ! They were incredible.

Comment

I used to fly out at Lake Beenbrook..
      Used to fly with the FT. Worth Thunderbirds...
      It's a fun sport. It can get expensive.
      I used to fly a Falcon 56. Then moved up to a faster more, complex
      platform. It was way ahead of me..

Comment

Oh ! btw--- It is possible, to bury a K&B 60 motor.
        4 inches in the ground...
        That flight, cost me $700. and three months of building...
        Although, I did discover, I ain't Lockeed Martin...

Comment

My buddy flies out of Bomber Field in west Houston. He has been building and flying over 40 years and has some incredible planes. He builds quarter scale replicas down to the rivets and patina and goes down to Florida for Top Gun competition every year. He has lot's of time and money in each plane. Also has some real turbine engined jets that are amazing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqRID1-cmPg"]Mirce Models 1/4 F-104 Starfighter flown by Barry Raborn. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Man that’s cool video-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I started in 1988 and was pretty serious but took about a decade off and have recently taken it back up.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                Oh ! btw--- It is possible, to bury a K&B 60 motor.
                4 inches in the ground...
                That flight, cost me $700. and three months of building...
                Although, I did discover, I ain't Lockeed Martin...
                The "Auger". I too have had this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                  My buddy flies out of Bomber Field in west Houston. He has been building and flying over 40 years and has some incredible planes. He builds quarter scale replicas down to the rivets and patina and goes down to Florida for Top Gun competition every year. He has lot's of time and money in each plane. Also has some real turbine engined jets that are amazing.

Mirce Models 1/4 F-104 Starfighter flown by Barry Raborn. - YouTube
                  Monaville takes great offense to being called west Houston

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                    I used to fly out at Lake Beenbrook..
                    Used to fly with the FT. Worth Thunderbirds...
                    It's a fun sport. It can get expensive.
                    I used to fly a Falcon 56. Then moved up to a faster more, complex
                    platform. It was way ahead of me..
                    Been there many of times watching my papa fly when I was a kid.

Comment

My grandpa was into competitive gliders when he came back from WW2. Back then you had to be able to draw up your own plans, build it, then hope it flew worth a dang. He qualified for nationals several times and placed there in Indianapolis. Still have two of his planes he took to nationals. They’re in the attic at my parents and will be a display piece and will be my kids one day. The wood is in great shape, the tissue paper is a little rough in a few places but overall pretty good considering it’s 70+ years old.

He got my dad into planes and trains when he was a kid. Summertime projects with my grandpa was building several planes for all of us to fly together. Made for a lot of cool memories as a kid. I get an itch to get me a plane every so often then realize I don’t have time to build one with everything else I have going.

Comment

Tried it when I was a teenager.Never had a flight over 30 seconds just wound up in pieces.Built a couple out of scratch cutting my own pieces out of bulk balsa and cypress.Almost cut my finger off with a fox 60 engine it’s hard to see the prop when it’s running.I bought a cheap plane from Harbor freight a couple years ago.Fairly easy to fly easy simple controls.I wound up flying it up and it got caught in a heavy wind and didn’t have the power to fight it.Away it went and never saw it again.No telling where that thing wound up.I’ve been studying and thinking about getting my pilots license I hope I’m better at the real thing.

Comment

I’ve always wanted to take this up but keep resisting. I already know what would happen with my obsessive over board personality…

Comment

I'm not a RC flyer myself, but this club is located on my property https://www.modelaircraft.org/club/b...ey-rc-modelers

Comment

I was big into it for a while. Worked at Randy’s Hobbies on the NW side of Houston for years before I joined the military. Cars, boats, airplanes, helicopters… did it all. I still kick around the idea of getting back into it now that I have “adult” money. Just haven’t bought anything.

Technology has come a very very long way with the electric side of the house. Back in the day brushless motors and lipos were still kind of expensive, now they have flooded the market. Makes things a lot easier, but man it’s hard to beat the smell/sound and fun of glow power.

Comment

Working...
                              X