• Show
Clear All

RIP Mr. Leo " Muy Grande" Garza

Comment

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
        Muy was one of a kind. He definately did a lot for South Texas trophy deer hunting. My dad and him drank a many of lone star beers together. I remember My dad telling me that back in the 60's Lionel worked at the Texaco station and sold the most tires and won a rifle for his prize. He ended up using the rifle for the prize in the first muy grande deer contest and eventually was able to buy the station. Don't know how true that story is but that's what I remember Rip muy.
        We went there often in the 70’s and 80’s. Same story I heard. It was quite an idea to start the contest.
        His contest and the photos/stories are what drew lots of us down to Duval County.
        Rest In Peace
        Last edited by Big pig; 07-17-2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

RIP Senor Garza

Comment

Man, he was kind man when I met him at his store there one morning. I was talking to him about hunting and the contest and he said something about when he started it…I said you’re Muy? He said yes, we talked a while, interesting man and built a legacy for South Tx hunters. God speed Muy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
              That is correct.

We were at the Muy Grande award ceremony last month. My son won an award for a buck he shot last year and we went down there for that. Mr. Garza was inducted into their Hall of Fame at the ceremony and they did a video presentation and told his life story and how the Muy Grande contest came to be. It was pretty cool. He definitely had a major impact on whitetail hunting as we know it today. Seems like he has a great family as well.
              Sorry we missed you at the dinner.

the awards ceremony was so short but now I'm really glad we took the time to go this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                I think it was a watch from selling the most tires if I remember correctly …
                The first price was a watch he had won I believe from Goodyear.

Comment

Drank a many Miller lights and many fajitas off his pit with him helping unload deer back in the day at the old store. Good man. Got taken advantage of when the contest was commercialized.

Comment

RIP to the legend!

Comment

Good man, Good family - my family is from Freer and I had the opportunity to meet him many times at the Texaco where my Uncle always stopped for coffee. I still have my autographed copy of the book.

Comment

Working...
                      X